Kernel Panic?

Hi I'm sorry if this post is incredibly ignorant, just trying to stay safe. 

I was using chrome, a graphic design program (affinity designer) and apple pages, but nothing out of the ordinary for my computer, and it all of a sudden crashed and restarted. 

The panic report said kernel panic and "panic(cpu 2 caller".  This has never happened to me before, so I'm a bit alarmed.  Does activity like this suggest that I have some kind of malware or a virus? 

I scanned with Malwarebytes and it came up clean but  I know things can be missed. Should I be alarmed?  What are the indicators I should be looking for?  Does this have anything to do with that iamroot bug I saw on the malwarebytes blog?

Thank you for your time. 

• Staff

A kernel panic is not generally the result of malware of any kind. It's possible, if the malware had kernel code in it, but no current Mac malware does.

Kernel panics are generally caused by one of three things: bugs in third-party kernel-level software, a hardware issue, or a corrupt system.

Did you save the kernel panic log? If so, send it to me in a direct message and I can look at it and give you my thoughts.

If you didn't, it should still be on the system. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu. Then, in the window that opens, paste the following path:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Then click the Go button.

In the Window that opens, look for any files ending in .panic, and find the one with the most recent date.

Thank you for your insight on this matter.  

I've also noticed that after installing the latest security update that my computer performance is lagging (10.13.2) particularly when typing.  

I don't know much about security, but is it safe to send panic report here?  Will it reveal my personal information/expose me to threats?

I've repeatedly run scans using MWB, and its come up clean. Also have shut down other programs but still lagging.  Do you think this is a result of the update or is it something potentially more nefarious?

Excuse my ignorance, and I appreciate your advice.

Edit:  I also wanted to note that I have not had any more Kernel Panic issues since my last post.  Only performance issue I'm experiencing seems to be a slight lag that VERY slightly slows down typing and some other things, but it is barely noticeable. 

Edited by ArtVandelay

• Staff

Any personal information contained in a kernel panic log should be quite minimal, but if you're concerned, send it straight to me via a direct message, as I mentioned, rather than posting it publicly here.

You shouldn't expect Malwarebytes to fix a problem like that. There are tons of possible causes for the computer lagging, and some kind of malware or adware is only one, and a pretty minor one at that. It could be incompatible third-party software you have installed, a connected peripheral causing problems, a problem with your system, a hardware issue, a slowly failing hard drive, etc.

• Staff

Any personal information contained in a kernel panic log should be quite minimal, but if you're concerned, send it straight to me via a direct message, as I mentioned, rather than posting it publicly here.

You shouldn't expect Malwarebytes to fix a problem like that. There are tons of possible causes for the computer lagging, and some kind of malware or adware is only one, and a pretty minor one at that. It could be incompatible third-party software you have installed, a connected peripheral causing problems, a problem with your system, a hardware issue, a slowly failing hard drive, etc.