Where does malwarebytes stand on this list?

joshkmartinez

The question has relevance in light of MBAM statement that v3 can replace a traditional anti-virus, as per https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/ 

Announcing Malwarebytes 3.0, a next-generation antivirus replacement

Posted: December 8, 2016 by Marcin Kleczynski 
Last updated: March 20, 2017

I am thrilled to announce the launch of our next-generation product, Malwarebytes 3.0! This product is built to provide comprehensive protection against today’s threat landscape so that you can finally replace your traditional antivirus.

It would've been apt. to state that with v3 AV's are no longer needed rather than as replacement for AV's, as replacement means 'take over the original functionality atleast on par and in toto'..As for instance anti-phishing is not part of the v3 package which are covered by AV's.. (this as per PCmag review in https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455577,00.asp).. 

I ran my antiphishing test on Malwarebytes, while waiting for confirmation from the company as to whether they intended the product to block phishing (fraudulent) websites. My contact responded that it might sometimes block a site that shares an address range with a known malware hosts, but it isn't meant to detect and block phishing. That completely jibes with my tentative test results, so I abandoned this test. Norton is a reliable protector against these frauds, but at present Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017 holds the top score.

Also

Malwarebytes does not target script files. That means MB will not target; JS, HTML, VBS,.CLASS, SWF, BAT, CMD, PDF, PHP, etc.

It also does not target documents such as; PDF, DOC, DOCx, XLS, XLSx, PPT, PPS, ODF, etc.

It also does not target media files;  MP3, WMV, JPG, GIF, etc.

I use MB as part of layered defenses. And I sell to my clients as well as that.

6 minutes ago, sman said:

definitely does'nt have some of AV features to be called a 'replacement'..

What we did say and are continuing to say is that it can replace your antivirus software because our protection mechanisms (such as Malicious Website Blocking, Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware) are more proficient at blocking/preventing infection when using the web than a traditional antivirus which relies mostly on signatures to attempt to detect and stop threats (the same signatures used for file scans, for example).

I took 3 files that I received in email that morning and ran them I DID not infect the machine. 

Recording #1.mp4

One did not run. The other 2 were blocked on execution which is how MB works. Mb will not detect any file except during a scan and if it in the database. Or on execution like those script files I executed. A scan on those files would have been useless because MB does not detect those types of files. At the time of this test, I turned off Defender because it caught those files. 

Alerts/notifications on scan/at the time of infection on download.. that where 'signatures' exist as being detected by 'Defender' so that, the infected files are not stored/led into false sense of security to spread the file, to infect other storage media & in turn other systems..