Device Admin

App is saying I have issues. When I click on fix issues ask me ignore non-critical issues and to enable device administrator. If I click on enable device administrator. If I go there it gives me a list of thing it will do which really look like some kind of malware. Such as Erase all data, Change the screen unlock password, set password rules, lock the screen etc. What is all this?

Me too.  Malwarebytes doesn't seem to be watching this forum and I can't find anything on the web on it.  It says it disables all cameras.  Does that mean I can never use them?  What other issues or advantages does it have to make malwarebytes my devices administrator.

Apparently we're not going to get an answer. I also noticed that the Malwarebytes icon is no longer up in the notification tray at the top on my cell either. I went through all the settings and can't find away to re enable that? So many frustrating issues with this free premium trial! I was just going to revert back to the free version, but can't figure out how to do that either!! Ugh.

On 8/18/2017 at 0:00 PM, ottersea said:

If I go there it gives me a list of thing it will do which really look like some kind of malware. Such as Erase all data, Change the screen unlock password, set password rules, lock the screen etc. What is all this?

The options you see when looking at the enable-admin prompt are generic, any app you give admin rights to gets the same rights, but malwarebytes won't use them all. By enabling administrator, it gives Malwarebytes the ability to recognize phishing links sent to you by text message and warn you, and codes sent by you from a different phone via SMS with a password you set. For example, sending "mb <password> lock" to your phone will be picked up by Malwarebytes, and the app will immediately lock your phone for you in the case of theft. There are others that let you change your lock screen password, make the phone vibrate and ring in case you misplace it, and display a message on the screen (like a number to call if someone finds your lost phone). Take a look under Settings>Protection>SMS Device Control in the app for more info on that.

On 8/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, Tandv73 said:

It says it disables all cameras.  Does that mean I can never use them?  What other issues or advantages does it have to make malwarebytes my devices administrator.

Camera disabling is just another admin feature like I explained above. Malwarebytes doesn't use it. Enabling Admin rights also means that Malwarebytes will automatically "outrank" any malicious software that tries to uninstall antivirus software on your phone, keeping your phone safe.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:55 AM, hayleyscomett said:

I also noticed that the Malwarebytes icon is no longer up in the notification tray at the top on my cell either. I went through all the settings and can't find away to re enable that?

The icon doesn't stay in the tray all the time. If there is an icon, then it's a notification from the app. It should appear (not always immediately) after installing new apps or downloading files, either to tell you that it's already scanned the apps and files, or it'll ask you to open Malwarebytes and run a scan when you aren't busy. You can swipe the notifications away like any other, but your phone is still protected.

I beg your pardon but, the Malwarebytes icon most definitely WAS always present at the top of my notification tray letting me know all was well. It was only when this free trial of the premium version started that it went away. I'm not the only one who asked about this feature. I liked it always being present, kind of like a visual reminder of peace of mind.

Is curious. Earlier, Malwarebytes for Android boasted of being lightweight and not duplicating functions such as Google Device Manager, already present in Android and allowing to delete and lock the device in case of theft. Now, I suppose to justify the premium payment version, these unnecessary and duplicate functions are included ...

Edited by Kruner

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a premium account for a long time on my PC without issues.  Malwarebytes does not have administrator priveliges.  And, I will NEVER give that software administrator priveliges on my android.  Doing so would allow authorized employees at malwarebytes the ability to make changes to my device that currently only I can make.  I would like for malwarebytes to explain to me why the software is asking for this, as your explanation above is completely inadequate.  The free version never asked for this permission.  IMHO, The software needs to be able to do what it claims without giving administrator priveliges!!!

• Staff

@RobertC

Thanks for feedback.

You can find why we need device admin in the following thread. It is part of a new feature that comes with premium.

And, I will NEVER give that software administrator priveliges on my android.

That's ok. Application will work only ransomware remediation will not work.

Doing so would allow authorized employees at malwarebytes the ability to make changes to my device that currently only I can make.

Our app cannot be controlled remotely. No-one in Malwarebytes could or would do it. But, feel free not to give that permission.

• 4 months later...

Hi @DadoMahfouz,

Malwarebytes for Android does not use device administration rights for erasing mobile devices, nor any other drastic actions.

Device administration is needed for ransomware remediation.

Ransomware is particularity dangerous, and if given device administration rights (accidentally), it can render the device unusable.  By giving Malwarebytes for Android device administration rights, we can remediate ransomware even after it is given privileged rights.

For example, some ransomware may change the device’s user pin.  We can remediate this if given device admin rights to reset the pin (via SMS commands).

Also, device admin rights protect Malwarebytes for Android from being uninstalled by malware.

If you would prefer to not give Malwarebytes for Android device administration rights and forgo protection from ransomware, our application will continue to run without those rights.

Nathan