is RTProtectionDaemon a legit part of Malwarebytes?

There is really no need to install Malwarebytes to disable the RTProtection daemon. That can easily be done from the dashboard. And you don't need to subscribe as long as you don't require premium features.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After installing OSX Mojave,  RTProtectionDaemon now uses between 90% and 99% of my CPU and slows my MacBook Pro down so far that Office 365 will not execute.   (It didn’t do this before the OS upgrade from OSX Sierra) .....  Killing the process (RTProtectionDaemon) restores normal function of the Mac …..  Any suggestions?

•   Malwarebytes 3.5.27
  •   Model Name: MacBook Pro
  •   Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.1 (18B75)
  •   Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
  •   Processor Name: Intel Core i5
  •   Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
  •   Number of Processors: 1
  •   Total Number of Cores: 2
  •   L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
  •   L3 Cache: 3 MB
  •   Memory: 16 GB
  •   Boot ROM Version: 222.0.0.0.0
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

•   SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

• 8 months later...

I am also having this issue.  MacOS 10.14.6.  Opened Activity Monitory and saw the daemon ramping up User processing to 75%!  Ended processes for that daemon and now back to 2.8%.  Will definitely be looking out for this to ensure that "RTProtectionDaemon" does not continue to run in background.  Not sure if this is legit part of Malwarebytes updates, but it is NO GOOD.   

1 hour ago, Vlm4life said:

Will definitely be looking out for this to ensure that "RTProtectionDaemon" does not continue to run in background.  Not sure if this is legit part of Malwarebytes updates, but it is NO GOOD.   

Make sure you are using the latest build of v3.9.27 (there were issues with the early builds).

RTProtectionDaemon does a lot more than it's name would indicate and will always run in the background even if you shut off both Real-Time Protection features and hide the menubar icon, in order to keep the protection definitions up-to-date, but should not be at high levels. It's definitely part of Malwarebytes.

Apologies if I have missed essential elements of this thread, I have only just joined this forum. I have been using Malwarebytes (paid subscription) following a recommendation from Apple support staff and was happy with it. Just like other posts I discovered today when checking activity monitor, that RTprotection and kernel processes eat up huge `amounts of CPU time on my MacBook Air running High Sierra. From a first view of the various posts I was under the impression that Malwarebytes had fixed this issue. What do I need to do to resolve this? It makes my MacBook extremely slow.

Thanks for any suggestions

• 1 year later...

I have RT protection TURNED OFF. But after I reboot my iMac, the whole system locks up for 10+ seconds, and then unlocks suddenly with RTprotectionDaemon at the top of Activity Monitor by CPU usage.

Why should RTprotectionDaemon take TEN WHOLE SECONDS to decide it is SWITCHED OFF?

This is really really irritating.

A staff member will need to respond with exactly what is going on, but I am aware that the RTProtectionDaemon is responsible for more than just Real-Time Protection now and probably should have it'd name changed to something like MalwarebytesHelperDaemon. Basically it's now responsible for all background processes. My guess would be that it's checking for updates to both the application and protection database during that time. I personally am not observing any "lockup" after reboot, just a lot of activity as various apps, menubar and other processes are launched with my setup. I don't find any of that irritating as it's something I've experienced with ever computer I've ever owned over the last several decades.

• Staff

RTProtectionDaemon is also responsible for all scans, so if you have a scheduled scan needing to be run, it will do that as well. However, I've never seen any reports of our software causing such a "freeze" at startup. That shouldn't be something it would be capable of, since RTProtectionDaemon can at most use 100% of only one processor core, which would mean the rest were still available for other processes. My suspicion is that the freeze has a different cause, not related to the fact that RTProtectionDaemon is very active, but I can't say without more information.

One thing to try would be to uninstall Malwarebytes completely (choose Uninstall from the Help menu within Malwarebytes) and see if the problem continues, then reinstall and see if the problem comes back. Please try that and report back with your findings.