Malicious Memory Protection:Exploit code executing from Heap memory blocked

tkmops

Just started getting this msg when trying to play a video with WMP:Malicious Memory Protection:Exploit code executing from Heap memory blocked.

Win 7 64 bit, Malwarebytes premium, version 3.1.2., updated.  

Tried adding the Windows Media Player folder,(and just the .exe) to the exclusions list, still getting that error. 

Anyone know how to resolve this? 

Thanks!

Today, I got a similar error message when trying to run the Microsoft Excel: Power Pivot Add-In (and selecting the Manage icon to manage an existing Power Pivot Table).

Malicious Memory Protection: Exploit Code executing from Heap Memory Blocked - Location Microsoft Office Excel. 

Note: Power Pivot is a Microsoft Excel add-in designed and developed by Microsoft that is part of Microsoft BI. Power Pivot is an add-in you can use to perform powerful data analysis in Excel. The add-in is built into certain versions of Excel, but by default, it's not enabled.

I just found on  the MalWareBytes main console, under 'settings', a 'Protection'

tab...the 2nd item down is 'Exploit Protection'(which is 'on').  There's a 'Manage Protected Applications' button, and 'Advanced Settings' button.  I wasn't quite sure what to click under the 'Advanced Settings' button, but  in the 'Manage Protected Applications', I was able to turn off protection for WMP. And now it works. 

The big question here, is it safe to do that?

• 11 months later...

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Could be this be just a MBAM setting.

Check this topic.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/205873-malicious-memory-protectionexploit-code-executing-from-heap-memory-blocked/

If not please run this program. Post the logs and wait for further instructions.

Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.
Click Attach this file.
Click the Add reply button.
===

Please post the logs  for my review.

• 11 months later...