Question about Visual Studio

With today's Windows updates, the second one was a security patch for Visual Studio.

On my Dell Inspiron there was only one for Visual Studio C++2005.

On the HP Mini PC, there were two: one for Visual Studio C++2005 and one for Visual Studio C++2008.

I've been searching for information about Visual Studio but there is very little to be found in Dutch and the information on Microsoft's website (in English) is a bit too technical for me.

I would be very grateful if someone could tell me what the function of this program is and whether it would be advisable to install Visual Studio C++2008 on my Dell laptop (as this program is apparently preinstalled).

Heartfelt thanks.

Greetings mona :) .

Visual Studio C++ is essentially a programming language. The updates are for certain runtime components (basically files that contain functions) for other software that you have installed that were made using that particular version of Visual Studio (ie 2005 or 2008). Programs that require one or the other will install the necessary version with their installer. There's no need to install 2008 if it's not already there, it must've been required by one of the programs that's installed on your other computer and that's why it's present :) .

Hopefully that answers it in a not too technical way for you :) . I'm not a programmer or anything so my particular lingo may be off, but I believe the basic concepts are sound.

exile360 is essentially correct.

Unless you're a programmer, you've no need to install VS itself. The programs that require the C++ runtimes, will install them and when required, Windows Updates will download and install updates for them (much like the VB runtimes that programs coded in Visual Basic require, or the .Net runtime that programs written in .NET require etc etc etc)

/edit

Corrected typo.