Adwcleaner wont work

malbytes24

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem here.  Running adwcleaner_6.046.exe on Windows 7 SP1.  Have used the program a handful of times successfully in the last week.  Now, when I try to run it, the program apparently launches in the background but I do not have the User Interface and cannot execute anything.  The task manager shows it as a running process only, taking up 9,940K memory.  I am running on an administrator profile and have double-clicked the .exe to "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" - if I try to click the .exe again I get a warning "AdwCleaner is already running!"  I wanted to uninstall the application and re-install but I do not see a PROGRAM NAME in the uninstall list, assuming it just runs as an executable without installing itself,  Extremely frustrating, please advise. Thank you.

UPDATE: I booted Windows into SAFE MODE and was able to run it there successfully without issues.  I proceeded to use the AdwCleaner User Interface and Clean, with no problems.  I went into msconfig.exe, selected to boot into NORMAL MODE.  Selected the AdwCleaner prompt to allow Windows restart.

After re-booting into NORMAL MODE, I was greeted with the pop-up AdwCleaner LOGFILE text file upon login.  Then proceeded to try to run AdwCleaner again by "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" exactly as I had done so before unsuccessfully, yet this time it worked normally and loaded the program normally with the User Interface.  It seems as though the problem is fixed, still perplexed as to how it came to run fine in SAFE MODE and reset itself to run with no issues in NORMAL MODE after that.

Edited by sdiv
clarification

• 1 month later...

Thank you SDIV for your suggestion to run in Safe Mode. 

I'm having a similar problem only in Windows 10 Pro. After reading your post, I tried scanning in Safe Mode and was successful. I found 5 problems that were removed. I rebooted in Normal but did not get the report, I went to the file and opened.

I then tried to run adwcleaner in Normal Mode as admin, it still would not run. I can't find it running in task manager, unless it runs under the Malwarebytes program. I have Malwarebytes Premium 3.1.2 running. Do I have to stop Malwarebytes or am I missing something? This started a couple of weeks ago.