Website blocking question

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and I have 2 questions. One regarding website blocking and another regarding malwarebytes scanning.

I visited a website, which I thought seemed harmless, but malwarebytes premium came up and said that it blocked it. The website was

Spoiler

file . org / extension / sol

. I apologize for posting the link here, I'm not sure how to disguise it.

I was looking for information about sol files and it was the first google result.

Anyways, after malwarebytes blocked it I got a little nervous about what happened, as one probably would, and so decided to run a scan. But malwarebytes was unable to run a complete scan. It continually cancelled it after 1 second. After I restarted my computer however it was able to scan just fine, and it found nothing. Neither did hitmanpro or windows defender (I know windows defender is pretty basic).

So my question 1: Once a website is blocked during real-time protection, can a website manage to sneak in drive-by downloads or anything of the sorts? Or does malwarebytes manage to stop the website completely from loading anything?

Question 2: What happened that my scanning refused to work until I restarted? In the log it says that it was canceled, but it did it on its own.

Edited by HellionGloom
Removed item prefix. I will have to get used to this site to know what it is.

• Root Admin

Hello @HellionGloom and :welcome:

Q1. No, once a site is blocked there is no way for it to push out anything to your system at that point.

Q2. My guess is that your computer may have been up a long time and was simply a fluke having had other programs crash maybe without a restart.

You might want to try a clean removal and reinstall just to make sure all files are valid and up to date.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If you continue to have issues with scanning let me know.

Thanks

Ron

Hello @AdvancedSetup, and thanks :)

Pertaining to my first question:

I may have rephrased it poorly: I wanted to know if a website can manage to sneak anything in before MBAM manages to block it.

Like, just a few hours ago I visited a blog entry on auth0.com - but when I activated images for it to read diagrams (I block images by default), MBAM came up and said that it had blocked some other url from that site. Another poster, on this forum, has recently written about that url:

So, can anything malicious happen before MBAM will manage to intervene and block?

Or does MBAM read all requests before our browsers do and block it in time before anything can happen, or something else?
Edited by HellionGloom
Just formatting it better.

• Root Admin

Only if the site is unknown to us or you're not running the latest update. If we're aware of the site and have it blocked then we'll block access to it long before you can open the page. So, no, the site cannot download something to you as the page would have to load and render their scripts in order to do that.