Scanning hangs after update

Hello, I just did the software update to the latest version, and ever since I cannot complete a single scan.

The scanning stops during this item: Adware.Vsearch

Is this a commong problem for other users too? Can you please let me know how to resolve this? I've been having repeated trouble with Chrome. Before the update, even after repeated scans, I can't seem to permanently get rid of the annoying TurboMac ads.

Thanks in advance for your response.

• Staff

Can you send a system snapshot taken with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac? To do so, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and choose Take System Snapshot from the Scanner menu. Then, in the window that opens, select all the text (Edit Select All), copy it and paste into a reply to this message.

Alternately, if you'd prefer not to post that information publicly, feel free to send it to me in a direct message.

Thomas I have the same problem here with the hang on Adware.Vsearch. It hangs for about 15 seconds. I had no problem with the previous Version. System snapshot PM to you.

• Staff

We're seeing a handful of users having a similar issue.

For most people who were originally seeing this, the problem has been fixed. However, there are still a few who are seeing scans get hung up on Adware.VSearch with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.5. If you are seeing this, do the following:

First, don't be impatient. It's possible the scan may take longer than usual. Let it run for a while and see if it eventually completes.

Second, if it doesn't complete after half an hour or so, something has probably gone wrong. Try restarting in safe mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

You will know that you have rebooted in safe mode because it will take much longer, and the screen may redraw very slowly now and then. Also, none of the programs that will normally load at startup will be loaded.

While in safe mode, try scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac again.

Third, if the problem continues even in safe mode, please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac and choose Contact Support from the Help menu. Include a detailed description of what you're seeing and what troubleshooting steps you've tried in the problem description.

(Post edited because the testing steps provided were no longer relevant.)

Edited by treed

Thanks, Thomas. I'm running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.2.4 on OS 10.8.5. I understand how the number of files to be scanned can make a difference in the scan time, but there was very little that changed on my computer since Tuesday, when the scan for VSearch took only seconds.

Could something have changed significantly in the signatures that is causing the scan to run much longer?

It's not the scan time alone that had me concerned: I just happened to visit a website on Wednesday that displayed a highly suspicious dialog box that clearly would've gotten me into trouble had I clicked on it. Instead, I immediately left the page without clicking anything. My computer exhibited no troublesome behavior after that.

But then, when I launched Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before shutting down (as I do every night), and it became "stuck" on Adware.VSearch, I immediately remembered that website I'd visited earlier and thought that perhaps something had been downloaded even though I clicked nothing and it was now causing trouble with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

I launched Malwarebytes Anti-Malware before beginning to write this, taking note that the scan could take longer than 15 seconds or more and, as of this moment, the scan has been working on Adware.VSearch for 30 minutes. My Mac's Console has been reporting, every thirty seconds:

"Nov  3 09:38:48 Mikes-Mac-mini.local Malwarebytes Anti-Malware[586]: replyServiceStateOK"

Please advise. Thanks.

I am running 10.0.5.   I an not computer savvy enough to understand what Thomas wrote.

It ran for 10 minutes one time and  I could not even get it to Force Quite or Cancel!  I had to press the power button

to shut down my computer.  I had to do this 3 times and gave up.

I  finally called my Mac Pro Professional that I rely on to help me in times like these!

His services are not Free.  But worth every penny. (Dollar!!)

I hope he can get rid of this Application and all of the files associated with it.  And maybe a clean install will work.

• Staff
50 minutes ago, MikeHarrison said:

Thanks, Thomas. I'm running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.2.4 on OS 10.8.5.

If you update the signatures (which happens automatically each time you quit and re-open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware), I reverted a change I made to a rule that I suspected may have been involved, but that change seems to have extended the problem to 1.2.4 users. I'm not sure why... it should take extra time, but not 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, treed said:

I reverted a change I made to a rule that I suspected may have been involved

Yep, I knew something has happened. I'm back to 2 seconds instead of 15 as posted above. Version 1.2.5, Sig File 139 :)

Edited by Popeye

• Staff

We have found a conflict with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.5 with software called Workspace from GoDaddy. If you have Workspace installed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.5 will get stuck while scanning for Adware.VSearch.

We're working on figuring out why this is and will release a fix as soon as we can.

In the meantime, if you have Workspace installed and aren't using it any longer, you can uninstall it by running the Uninstaller found in the Workspace folder in your Applications folder.

If you are using it, you can downgrade to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac 1.2.4 until we have a fix ready. To do so, first choose the Uninstall option from the Help menu within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It's very important to uninstall 1.2.5 first. Once that is done, restart your computer. Then, download and install 1.2.4 from here:

https://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/web/MBAM-Mac-1.2.4.584.dmg