More Norton detections in MBAM temp file...

brutons

Hello All,

I'm posting again (just some 5 days since the last) because Norton has detected 2 more temp files which it identifies as threats within MBAM files: 1. Trojan.KillAV; and 2. Ransom.Bucbi (screenshot attached).  I'm a little concerned as I have now had 5 of these in the past month, whereas previously they would occur no more than once or twice a year.  I'm presuming that they are perhaps false-positives again (due to their being located in MBAM files) but would be very grateful for that reassurance and any advice on how - if possible - I might minimise these occurrences.  Should I also delete the quarantined files?

Many thanks

Neil

• Staff

Hi,

Malwarebytes doesn't create such tmp files in the malwarebytes anti-malware directory. I don't think these files are created by malware either after reading many posts regarding this on the Norton forums, eg: http://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-360-premier-flagged-malwarebytes-tmp-file

To me, It rather looks like during Norton's scan, while it enumerates (which basically means scanning) this directory, has a hiccup here, because I don't think these files even exist there. If you would restore them from quarantine, don't think they will show back in the Malwarebytes directory.

I suggest you report this in the norton forums though, as this isn't anything we can do on our end.

In either way, there's nothing to worry here.

Thank you for your reassurance, Mieke.

What troubles me somewhat is that I have 3 other PCs on this home network, all of which are configured similarly to mine, i.e. Windows 10, Norton, MBAM & MBAE, however mine is the only one picking up these so called false positives. Is there a good reason why that would be, do you think?  I'm also a little unsettled by the increasing frequency - not wishing to sound neurotic, though!!

Thanks again

Neil

• Staff

Hi Neil,

I don't know why it only does that on this certain PC though. My thought is that Nortont has problems with enumerating the files there for some reason.

This has been reported a few times in the Norton forums already - it's an enumeration issue with Norton and not with Malwarebytes here.

Here's a similar thread:

We've tried to reproduce the same in the past as well, but so far, we haven't been able to reproduce this yet - So Norton support might give some more insight here since I know this has been reported to them many times already.

For now, I suggest you add the Malwarebytes folder to your Norton Exclusions - as these .tmp files are certainly no threat at all.