Delete option from open with list

Ant

There is probably an incredibly easy solution for this but I can't seem to find one. (This isn't UN-associating this with a specific file type) When you right click a file. Sometimes there is an option to click open with right? Then there's a window that popups and says "How do you want to open this file", and it gives you a list of programs. Now here's where my computer OCD kicks in. When you click choose another app, there are some other programs there. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_1.png

I want to remove java.exe A.K.A Java(TM) Platform SE binary from the choose another app list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Root Admin

Without playing with the registry the easiest way would be to uninstall the program. If at all possible I'd highly recommend not using Java at all unless once absolutely has to have it.

As Java seems to get exploited on a regular basis I advise not using Java if possible

2 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Without playing with the registry the easiest way would be to uninstall the program. If at all possible I'd highly recommend not using Java at all unless once absolutely has to have it.

As Java seems to get exploited on a regular basis I advise not using Java if possible

I need it to play games :-(

Edited by Ant

• Root Admin

What games. Only the very basic games on kid sites seem to still use it. I don't have it installed on my system except for one at work that has to have it to run server modules. Java is the next best thing to asking for an infection on purpose.

If you "must" have it you'd need to dig into the registry. However since you're on Windows 10 and many methods are now done differently and potentially also involve Windows App interactions I'm not going to give advice on manual registry methods of removal for said entry. Just leave it alone, it's not hurting anything by being there. Tell your OCD to calm down :P

Just now, AdvancedSetup said:

What games. Only the very basic games on kid sites seem to still use it. I don't have it installed on my system except for one at work that has to have it to run server modules. Java is the next best thing to asking for an infection on purpose.

If you "must" have it you'd need to dig into the registry. However since you're on Windows 10 and many methods are now done differently and potentially also involve Windows App interactions I'm not going to give advice on manual registry methods of removal for said entry. Just leave it alone, it's not hurting anything by being there. Tell your OCD to calm down :P

Perhaps, I didn't get my point across. I don't want to uninstall java. I just want to remove that from Open with... Because I changed the name of the file so it wouldn't show up. And I get confused on which Java is the correct java (javaw.exe) which is what I need to open with it. I just want it to be known as java.exe. But only have javaw.exe in the Open with...

Cheers,

Thanks anyway thank you for the response. :-) I know you can't really assist me any further because it would be unsafe for you to guide me through the registry, and delete stuff.