Nirsoft

pctyson

Nirsoft.net is a WELL respected site with MANY excellent free utilities. Nir Sofer does a great service by providing these utilities free of charge. I understand that many of them can be used for nefarious purposes by ill meaning people. Even so, just because a program can be used improperly, it does not mean that it is malware.You will find Nirsoft.net mentioned by some of the most respected tech people around. Windows Secrets , for example, points to 37 pages where the utilities are mentioned and recommended. It is becoming very tiresome to have to reboot and then exclude Nirsoft programs and directories every time I download a new update to one of the utilities.

• Staff

Hi,

We don't detect Nirsoft (except for some of their tools which are often bundled by malware, so we can still alert the user at least - the same as other AVs are doing), so it might be a good idea to give us the exact info we need, so we can look into this.

Please read here for reporting a false positive: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/forum/42-file-detections/

Thanks!

" except for some of their tools which are often bundled by malware ".

In all likelihood there is probably no really good way to  make exceptions within Malwarebytes to the Nirsoft tools without incidentally allowing those with evil in mind to bundle the utilities within their malware. In retrospect, I would rather Malwarebytes require me to go through some of these tedious steps to allow these excellent Nirsoft utilities rather than to have malware slip in.

Edited by pctyson

• Staff

Most we don't detect, except for these passwordviewer tools, although, we only detect the ones/builds that we've seen bundled in malware - so if you willingly install these, just add the path where you keep this file, to your whitelist. That way, you won't need to "whitelist" it everytime again (unless you ofcourse decide to put this file in different locations all the time).