Just a quick question.

I am currently running Malwarebytes Premium(Latest version.) on a Windows 8.1 system, with Windows Defender as the Antivirus program. I know there are people who will say that Defender is not good protection, but I find this combination is light on resources, and causes no slow downs. Is this combination OK? I am careful where I go on the web, and do not use file sharing sites etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.  :huh:

Windows Defender is a software product that attempts to detect and remove malware. Initially released as an antispyware program, it was first released as a free download for Windows XP, shipped with Windows Vista by default, and currently ships with antivirus capabilities as part of Windows 10.

All have instructions for exclusions & how to set it up so MBAM works well with any of these AV programs.

Need any help the forum is here & someone will reply .. right now you only have two malware/antispyware programs. Windows Defender & Malwarebytes! No AV. 

No, on Windows 8 & 8.1, Windows Defender IS  a full Antivirus program. On Windows 7 and prior versions, Defender was strictly an anti spyware program. The downloadable version of Windows Defender Which is called Microsoft Security Essentials is a full antivirus program. When Windows 8 was released, Microsoft incorporated the antivirus capabilities of Security Essentials into Windows Defender, and the name was changed to Windows Defender.  

Hi:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

You are correct. Windows Defender in 8/8.1./10 is the rebranded "MSE", a full AV (versus the weak anti-spyware Windows Defender of Win 7).

As a general forum principle, we neither endorse nor critique specific AV choices.
That's because this forum is owned and operated by Malwarebytes corporation, and they work closely with other security software publishers.
It would therefore be "tacky" and inappropriate to recommend one product over another.

MSE (aka Defender in Win 8/8.1/10) has its fans and its detractors.
It's probably "as good as" any other free, antivirus.
Regarding the "Free" AVs, you might find this post from a MS MVP and security expert interesting or helpful: http://www.bleepingc...s/#entry3781476

However, there is no one "best" AV to suit all computers, users and budgets.
If you search the forum here (and any of the reputable computer security fora), you'll find many, many threads about this.
Here is a very recent one, with many links to informative resources: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/175081-best-protection-recommended-protection/

For an added layer of protection, you might consider adding MBAE.
It protects against the "how" of malware infection, while MBAM and your AV focus on the "what".
MBAE shields vulnerable, internet-facing applications, such as browsers and plug-ins.
The Premium version permits adding custom shields for other applications, as well.

And no one security application or combination thereof can protect 100% of computers 100% of the time from 100% of malware. The first and last line of computer defense is the component between the chair and the keyboard. ;)

Cheers,