Smilebox Malware?

DaveImagery

Yeah but it's been flagged for a reason I would assume.  I know there are many false positives, and PUP's is an increasingly generic specification.  I know this company has been flagged before.  I'm assuming they don't inject anything malicious, rather targeted adware or some such crap.  But even that is unacceptable.

The company's Better Business Bureau rating doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence either.

http://www.bbb.org/alaskaoregonwesternwashington/business-reviews/digital-media/smilebox-inc-in-redmond-wa-22069332/

If your Mom deliberately installed SmileBox then you can exclude the files and folders from further scan detection.

If she indicates that she has no idea of what SmileBox is and doesn't use it, the I suggest removing it.   One of the criteria of being classed as "PUP.Optional" is being bundled with other software and making it difficult to Opt-Out with the installation is prechecked for Opt-In whiles obfuscating its existence.

BTW:  If you are using MBAM v1.75, it is suggested to upgrade to MBAM v2.x. 

V2.2 is presently in Beta and presumed to be released not too long from now.

If your Mom deliberately installed SmileBox then you can exclude the files and folders from further scan detection.

If she indicates that she has no idea of what SmileBox is and doesn't use it, the I suggest removing it.   One of the criteria of being classed as "PUP.Optional" is being bundled with other software and making it difficult to Opt-Out with the installation is prechecked for Opt-In whiles obfuscating its existence.

BTW:  If you are using MBAM v1.75, it is suggested to upgrade to MBAM v2.x. 

V2.2 is presently in Beta and presumed to be released not too long from now.

I know, I should upgrade MBAM.  I like 1.75 because I can use it strictly on demand.  I can kill all the background processes, and not be nagged by alerts and such.  I know that negates the full security of MBAM, but that's just how I roll.  I've tried newer version of MBAM, and I don't care for the interface, and lack of total control.  I think I'll just tell MBAM to bypass scanning smilebox. 

Thanks for info