CCleaner classed as PUP?

The latest premium malwarebytes scheduled scan has come up with this result.

PUP.Optional.A1PCCLeaner.C as Potentially Unwanted Program.

I've had ccleaner for years and updated it as and when new releases are available. This is the first time this has shown up as a PUP and I am wondering if malawarebytes is being over zealous or not?

Hello and welcome:

I am not seeing that on my own system, running MBAM Premium with latest database (2015.04.01.9) and the latest CCleaner (5.04.5151).

To help the staff, for starters, can you please ATTACH your MBAM scan log to your next reply here in this thread?

ALSO: See here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=f925b3661f2c8a6cdd0681585a6070d2&showtopic=43293

Thanks,

--------------------

How to get scan logs:
(Export log to save as a txt file for posting in the forum when requested)

• Open MBAM.
  • Click on the HISTORY tab > APPLICATION LOGS.
  • Double-click on the SCAN LOG which shows the date and time of the scan just performed (or the one you are asked to post).
  • Click EXPORT.
  • Click TEXT FILE (*.txt)
  • In the "Save File" dialog box which appears, click on DESKTOP.
  • In the FILE NAME box, type a name for your scan log.
  • A message box named "File Saved" should appear, stating that "Your file has been successfully exported".
  • Click OK.
  •  Please attach the saved log to your next reply.

I've just realised that this is A1 PCCleaner and not CCleaner which would explain why it was discovered.

I don't recall having downloaded anything recently so can't fathom out how it got on my pc. As I have the premium version and the dashboard shows my system is fully protected should I have got a warning as soon as the offending programme tried to gain access? Once on my system does malwarebytes prevent it from creating havoc?

Finally I hit the "REMOVE SELECTED" button which put the PUP x 2 into quarantine so hopefully all is now well.

Thanks for the help.

Hello,

Had the same problem, I just don't know where A1PCCleaner is coming from.

Anyway the registry files are in quanrantine.

I searched the web to find more info about it : http://malwarefixes.com/threats/pup-optional-a1pccleaner-c/

Did download ADW Cleaner 4.200, just to do a scan and there too something was detected : a Trojan.

Mind you I still had the old version 3.3.0.2 which is working fine and did not detect anything suspicious.

Logs are included.

mbamlog.txt

mbamlog.2.txt