'webpage' is not responding

ugis

As the clean boot fixes the issue do the following:

Repeat the process to open MSCONFIG, ensure all MS services are still hidden. All non MS service entries will still be disabled, enable the top half of the non MS services then re-boot. If the issue does not return do exactly the same again, this time only enable the bottom half of non MS services, disable the top half again.
If the issue returns we know the issue is in the bottom half, so you now repeat again but only enable half of the bottom half. Keep doing that until you isolate the rogue sevice.

Let me know how you get on, I know it is a laborious task but it will locate the issue.....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Kev, before i'll try to do steps in article #51 here is another update what happened... - I opened Skype this morning and noticed that W updates are downloading on task bar. I left the room for a little while and when I came back there was msg on whole screen (blue background and white letters) : 'A problem has been detected and W has been shut down to prevent damage to your PC. A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your PC. If this screen appears again follow these steps: check to make sure any new Hware or Sware is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your Hware or Sware manufacturer for any W updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed Hware or Sware. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your PC press F8 to select advanced start up options and then select Safe Mode.'   

obviously don't have a clue what this all mean...  I restarted PC I didn't open any page/app  or anything but waited for W updates to go in. 14 updates were installed successfully .  here I am.. maybe it is connected to article #51 somehow? should I proceed?    thx

U.

It really depends on how your system is responding, like I said before, "the system cannot be left in clean boot mode indefinitely"

Put the system back to Normal mode and see how it responds.....

1. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or click Continue.
  2. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  3. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

What is the state of the system since the updates went in? is there any improvement..

Kevin....

I did what u said.(article #53 is much easier to understand than #51)..  after a restart I noticed a couple of things now - when I click 'show hidden icons' on taskbar then 'customize', doesn't matter what behaviours I want to select and change they do not respond! even after another PC restart. also the icons themselves are mixed up, for example , next/opposite  to 'avast' icon are 'java update checker'/ 'touchpad' icon - Skype/ 'bluetooth' icon - windows update/... and so on...  those icons swapped places!   also I pressed 'turn system icons on or off'  some of behaviors are  disabled and cant be changed! I cant change it from 'off' to 'on' !

and since I bought this PC years ago, I never changed any settings and now I noticed that  'Java' and 'Adobe' didn't get any new updates for a long period of time! how did it happen? they didn't get 'automatic updates' anymore but from the start they did! ?

For the icon issue go here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/49819-icon-cache-rebuild.html  Follow the instructions for "Option One"

Regarding Java, select start, type or copy/paste the following in the search box configure java then select enter. The Java control panel will open, select the "Update" tab, change the settings to suit your needs.

For Adobe > Open Adobe, from the menu bar select "Edit" from the opened menu scroll to and select "Preferences" catergories will open, scroll to and select "Updater" from the new window set the updates to suit your needs..

I do not use or need Java or Adoble....

Let me know how you progress, also if any remaining issues or concerns....

Thanks,

Kevin

thx Kev,

did what u said ..  what u mean 'u don't use or need Java or Adobe'!? those recommendations came with the pc when I bought it! basically the pc cant perform without Java and Adobe at all..?

but otherwise machine works ok now, thx again

Good to hear all is now ok. Regarding Java and Adobe, I do not have them on my system as they are always prone to exploitation. The choice is really down to yourself....

Have a read here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030153/how-i-ditched-the-security-risks-and-lived-without-java-reader-and-flash.html

The last couple of tools we used can be safely deleted, other than that you should be good to go....

Read the following link to fully understand PC security and best practices, you may find it useful....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

Will close out shortly...

Thanks,

Kevin

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!