Can't adjust brightness on my Samsung Laptop

blinsinftw

Hello blinsinftw,

Try this:

1.         Type POWER into the search box in the start menu.

2.         Select POWER OPTIONS from the list.

3.         There should be a sliding bar at the bottom of the window that opens to adjust the screen brightness.

Please note this works on my Samsung RF511, but I'm not sure if it will work on yours if it is a different model, worth a try though.

I hope this helps.

Additional:

For the Fn + F5 (its F5 on my computer, might be different on yours) to change the brightness you have to have the Samsung "Easy Display Manager" installed.  Check to see that the program is still installed.  If its not installed goto the Samsung website look up the model of your computer and it will display all the software dowloads that were pre-installed on your model of PC, if you need to you can download the "Easy display manager" again, once installed reboot you system and Fn + F5 should work again.

Thanks for the replies,

I am not sure I fixed everything, but I am finally able to adjust my brightness. I used my model number, NP88OZ5E and went to the Samsung website. I downloaded SW update and used it to download a myriad of new drivers and updates. It took quite a while. I still can't use my Fn keys to adjust brightness (I am missing that "easy display manager" program you referred to and I can't figure out how to find it, though I looked), but it works now when I use the control panel to adjust brightness now.

Thanks for all the help with what I am sure is normally very basic stuff. I feel a little smarter now at least. If you have any more suggestions for me, I am happy to hear them. If not, then thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Hello blinsinftw,

I have a Samsung N210 Plus laptop which developed the same problem you were having,no brightness control. This happened a few years ago. The LCD display was on full brightness all of the time, which made using it uncomfotable on my eyes. This appears to be an issue with Samsung. The problem started just after the guarantee had expired. I also tried all different ways to sort the problem out, nothing worked. I contacted Samsung and spent over half an hour on the telephone, with a technician. We got the brightness control working. Next time I switched on the laptop it had gone back to full brightness with no conrol. I stopped using the laptop until I found out about f.lux. This program auto adjusts the brightness, you can also manually adjust the brightness with ( Alt-PageUp or Alt-Page Down).

Could I suggest If you problems with the brightness on your Samsung  install f.lux. I'm using my laptop again since.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

My problem was the same: all Fn buttons had worked fine, except brightness buttons. All the same I was not able to change the brightness in windows control panel (brightness adjustment was missing) and in samsung control center (nothing happened when moved the brightness adjustment).

Check programs that can "override" your screen. My problem was TeamViewer 13. Don't know how TeamViewer had been overriding brightness settings, but when I had deleted it, Fn-buttons for brightness were on.