Think I still have malware/trojans -

Thank you for your help and advise Adam.  I really appreciate your patience and persistence with my issues. PC is running like 'new'.

I will be going through the reading list at my leisure.  I've copied the links to a Word document, and will be going through them.

It was very surprising that I had malware on my PC, as I am an advocate of Anti-virus programs, and had Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC since 'day one' (and I have kept current).  While the AV was catching some things, the MS Security Essentials (malware prevention) is, in my opinion, worthless.

One of my primary mistakes was to use my 'Administrator level' account on my PC as my primary-daily use account.  That has since been corrected, and I now have established a 'user' account on the PC to routinely use, and only use the 'Administrator level' account when necessary/required.

One of my primary 'identifiers' (before I contacted the Malwarebytes Forum) was to turn-off 'downloads' on my browser.  When that adjustment was made (A Security Tab setting in IE Tools), surprisingly, I was getting multiple pop-ups from my browser, indicating that 'downloads were disabled'.  But, I was not downloading anything!  That, in and of itself, was an indication that something was downloading files to my PC (i.e., virus or malware).

I will probably keep 'downloads' turned-off now, and just re-activate it when needed...

Again, Thank you.

Rick

Hello Rick, 

Thank you for your help and advise Adam.  I really appreciate your patience and persistence with my issues. PC is running like 'new'.

You're more than welcome. It was my pleasure. 

It was very surprising that I had malware on my PC, as I am an advocate of Anti-virus programs, and had Microsoft Security Essentials on my PC since 'day one' (and I have kept current).  While the AV was catching some things, the MS Security Essentials (malware prevention) is, in my opinion, worthless.

Yes, many have had the same experience. For paid Anti-Virus software, I only recommend one of following programmes. These are, in my opinion (and the opinion of the security community), the best paid-for software.

My choice of Anti-Virus is ESET NOD32, due to its lightweight nature and very high detection ratio. However, please be aware that there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus

I will probably keep 'downloads' turned-off now, and just re-activate it when needed...

That sounds like a good idea.

Can I help with anything else? Or are you ready for this topic to be marked as solved? 

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!