Malwarebytes crashes during scan

Hello, I have been using malwarebytes for years, but for some time now I have had some problems with it. Malwarebytes crashes when I try to do full scan on one of my hard disks. I think it happens during rootkit scan, because it's the only one I can't complete on its own. I already tried to reinstall malwarebytes. This is the crash report I get.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: mbam.exe
  Application Version: 1.0.1.711
  Application Timestamp: 542b53ec
  Fault Module Name: mbamcore.dll
  Fault Module Version: 1.1.20.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5425b0dd
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0003ec90
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1035
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Hi:

If you've already tried a CLEAN reinstall (as explained here), then let's get some preliminary logs, for starters.

To do that, please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

We may need additional data (e.g. crash dumps), but the diagnostic logs will be a good starting point.

Thanks,

Hi:

Thanks for the log.

Preliminary review shows at least 2 things:

1) Your system needs to be rebooted to complete the MBAM installation.

2) You are running Win7, 64-bit.  When you downloaded FRST, did you try to run the 32-bit version, by any chance?  You need the 64-bit version for your system.

So, you might want to try again to reboot the computer and then to try again the Diagnostic Logs, including the 64-bit version of FRST.

Then, please post back here again with all 3 logs, if you can.

We will go from there.

Thanks,

Thanks for the logs.

While we wait for a staff member to review them....

...are you able to run a Threat scan now?

• First, open the dashboard and select Update Now.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detection & Protection, and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log for the scan that was just run.
  • At the bottom, click Export and choose Text file.

Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

Thanks,

Hi:

Until the staff has a chance to review your logs, here are a couple of other considerations.

Your logs show that you are running 2 active antivirus applications on your system (in addition to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware), Avast and Windows Defender.

Running more than 1 AV can cause conflicts, crashes, slowdowns and other problems, and it can actually reduce your security, not improve it.

Assuming that you wish to run Avast, it would be a good idea to fully disable Windows Defender from the Windows Control Panel.

Also routine scanning of the entire system and other drives (aside from the OS boot drive on which MBAM is installed) is neither necessary nor recommended.

That is a task better suited to your AV.

Under most conditions, a Threat scan should be all that is needed.

Having said that, please wait for the staff to check your logs.

If MBAM is still crashing during a custom scan after you disable one of the 2 AVs, then they may wish to ask you to collect some crash dumps for the QA team to review, or to run some other diagnostics.

Thanks,

I'm currently seeing this exact same problem with one of my customers who is using the latest updated free edition of Malwarebytes.

No rootkit scan: no problem.

Rootkit scan: mbamcore.dll app faults after a couple of minutes into the scan.

Hi, and :welcome: , Allnet911:

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

Each computer is unique.

Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.

The same is true for solutions.

They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button. (where we can help you in your own topic)

The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Firefox

• 2 months later...

Hi:

Welcome back.
Sorry you are still having problems.
It appears that your post and initial logs may have been inadvertently overlooked. :(

As it's been more than 2 months, it would be a good idea to get some fresh logs.

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

NOTE:

Please delete the both scanner tools from your system (if you still have them) and grab fresh copies, as explained in the pinned topic.

Then, as you have already run FRST on this system, please place a check-mark in the Addition.txt option before you run it this time.

Then, please attach all 3 logs to your next reply here in this thread.

It *is* a holiday, of course.

But we will see to it that someone reviews the new logs as soon as possible.

Thank you again,