Malicious Web Protection disabled

The web protection feature of Malwarebytes 2.02 is now persistently disabled, even after pushing the Enabled radio button and re-starting the program.

I;ve read some of the forum messages and dug a bit deeper into what's happening. Reviewing the Protection Log, I see there's a message saying Web Protection is starting, followed by a message saying it's stopped:

Protection, 8/27/2014 07:11:02, SYSTEM, xxx, Protection, Refresh, Starting, 
Protection, 8/27/2014 07:11:02, SYSTEM, xxx, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, 
Protection, 8/27/2014 07:11:02, SYSTEM, xxx, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, 

So i ran mbam-check result log version 2.1.1.1001.

The CheckResults.txt log reveals that four of the five services are running (MBAMProtector, MBAMService, MBAMScheduler, MBAMChameleon), However,  

MBAMWebAccessControl is not running:

State:                  0 <--CAN NOT OPEN SC_HANDLE, SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING FOR: MbamWebAccessControl

Can I start that service manually?

CheckResults.txt

Hi:

Thanks for the log. :)

Well, it looks as if you are running XP SP2?

No SP3?

So, you are running a Windows OS version that has not been supported for several years (SP3 support ended in April 2014,  but SP2 support ended in 2009).

That's a pretty gigantic security vulnerability, although it should not -- by itself -- stop MBAM from working properly (unless you are infected).

In addition to the log you posted, I suggest that you please read this pinned topic and run the other tool (FRST), and then please post back with the 2 logs it produces: Diagnostic Logs.

Perhaps the staff will have some advice for you to get MBAM up and running.

Thanks,

I generated those logs (attached) prior to generating CheckResults.txt (previous post).

- The Malwarebytes Web Protection service is failing to start

The System Event Log shows a message from the Service Control manager:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the MBAMService service.

This computer is running Windows XP SP2. It's in an end-of-life cycle. There's no plan to update to SP3.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• Root Admin

This computer is running Windows XP SP2. It's in an end-of-life cycle. There's no plan to update to SP3.

Then you're simply wasting our time and your time. There have been hundreds of security related fixes in SP3 and post SP3 that our program cannot monitor or prevent attack from such threats.

You can try a clean removal and reinstall but again I would highly recommend that if you plan to keep Windows XP then at least get it as up to date security wise as possible.

You're also running an older version of Java known to be compromised which can easily lead to an infection.

1. Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Let me know if that works or if you want to look at fixing and installing SP3

Thanks

First, it's not my intent to waste anyone's time. The decision not to upgrade to Windows XP SP3 was based on issues we had when we installed SP3 on test machines.

Second, there is no longer a problem enabling malicious website protection in Malwarebytes. After a re-boot, the System Event Viewer continues to show a timeout error (7011)

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the MBAMService service.

but Malwarebytes comes up with Malware Protection and Malicious Website Protection enabled.

The only change to the system was running a scan (which turned up negative). There had been a scan the day before the problem popped up - also negative.

We can mark this closed.

Thanks for your assistance.

>> The only change to the system was running a scan (which turned up negative).

One more bit of information,

Before running the scan, I went with the option of updating the database. The Dashboard reported success with the update. But when I started the scan, there was a message that the database was corrupted and a query whether I wanted to download a new one. I said yes, then ran the scan.

• Root Admin

At one point there was almost half a billion computers out there running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 - it's your computer(s) so certainly up to you what you do with them but there were only 2 known issues affecting installs. One was an HP issue and one was a Symantec issue both of which were fixed within weeks of the SP3 release, after that I'm not aware of any reported known issues preventing SP3 from installing and working well.

But if MBAM is now working and you're satisfied that's good too.

Did you need any help or you think it's all good now still ?