Kaspersky Internet Security 2014

Hello

Can you please advise a not very tech-savvy user?

Running a Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop and have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 2.0.2.1012 installed.  I'm currently using the built-in Windows Defender antivirus, but I've read that this is not particularly effective.  I'm thus considering removing the latter and purchasing Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 as this seems to do well in reviews.

Are Malwarewbytes and Kaspersky compatible?  What steps would I have to follow to ensure harmony between the two when installing and running them?  Malwarebytes has not casued any issues to date and seems to be compatible with the various other security features I've installed (I can list those in a following post if required).

Many thanks :)

Hello and welcome:

Short answer: Yes, MBAM Premium and KIS are fully compatible.

Longer answer:

• KIS is now up to 2015, which was released several weeks ago (I have not yet updated my computers because I generally wait a while for stability patches, so I am still running KIS 2014).  If you have a valid license for 2014, it can be used to activate 2015.
  • The "best practice" to avoid any potential problems would be to temporarily uninstall MBAM first, then install/activate/configure/update KIS, and then reinstall MBAM.  It's not strictly necessary, but will help to get a trouble-free installation.
  • KIS ought to automatically assign MBAM to the "Trusted" group, but it can't hurt to set mutual exclusions.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

Let us know if you need more help.

Thanks,

-------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

• For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
    Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
    data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

post-29793-0-16501700-1408543069_thumb.p

Many thanks daledoc1 for your helpful reply.

I purchased MBAM Premium via a UK computer magazine's software site, with a lifetime licence, but the download was only avaiable for a week.  Do I uninstall MBAM using control panel?  When I reinstall it, do i download the free version from the Malwarebytes site, then 'upgrade' it to Premium by entering my existing licence key?

Thank you :)

Hi:

Here's how I would do it - I have broken it down into small steps (it may help to print these out before you start):

1. Make sure you have the license ID/key info for MBAM and the activation code info for KIS available before starting:
    1. The MBAM license ID/key would have been sent to you via email from the vendor from whom you purchased the license -- if it was not the Malwarebytes online store via cleverbridge, then you will need to contact the vendor to get that information.
    2. The KIS activation code would have been sent to you via email if you purchased online, or it will be on the CD sleeve, if you purchased a boxed version.
    3. Both programs have a "Trial" version you could use temporarily, but it will be easier just to activate both programs with your paid license ID/key and activation code, if you have them.
  2. Download and save to your desktop (but do NOT run yet) the installers for MBAM and KIS:
    1. The MBAM installer can be downloaded here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
    2. The KIS installer can be downloaded here (make sure you download KIS, not KAV, if you bought a license for KIS): http://www.kaspersky.com/product-updates
  3. Follow the first part of the steps in this pinned topic to run the mbam removal tool to uninstall MBAM and then reboot the computer when prompted: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  4. Install KIS, then follow the wizard to activate it with the KIS activation code, update it, configure it (as needed), and reboot the computer
  5. Once KIS is installed and working OK, then reinstall MBAM, following the rest of the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  6. Activate MBAM with your MBAM license ID/key, and update it.

Once you get that done, post back and we can help you with the mutual exclusions between MBAM and KIS, and other settings, if needed.

Thanks,

Hi NipNip,

In addition to daledoc's usual fantastic advice and instructions, I too am running the latest MBAM on multiple machines.

I can say that I have never seen a problem with MBAM behaving poorly with anti-virus tools.

I currently run it on several machines(mostly Win7 one WinXP) with Kaspersky Internet Security, ZoneAlarm Suite, Emsisift Antimalware and Online Armor firewall, or Microsoft Security Essentials. No system has special workarounds or exemptions for the "other" tool. MBAM plays very well with all the others!

Stay Safe!

brino

Note: to be clear I run MBAM on each machine, but only only _ONE_ other tool with it.

Since I have several machines I like to test and try the various tools against eachother.

Well all seemed to go smoothly with the installs, thanks to your concise instructions.

I've run a full scan of both KIS and MBAM and there don't appear to be to be any conflicts.

I've added the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ Kaspersky Lab to Settings > Malware Exclusions in MBAM.

Is there anything else I should do?