What to do: Malware - winspeed.dll

Hello All,

Found the malware winspeed.dll, on my computer (PC, Win7) via a mcafee scan that I cannot delete. Shut down the service via msconfig, unistalled some frisco malware I thought was connected, but I still cannot delete the files (says that a program is running it, but won't say which). Shows as being from the Microsoft Corporation in msconfig, but from 24soft in the uninstall a program menu. Doesn't show up in task manager, but I do have two rundll32.exe files without command paths which won't open up properties windows.

Has anyone encountered this issue/file(s)? Is there a way to find what program is running this that isn't described above? The googling of this program is frustratingly helpless, lot's of 'just delete the files'. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Pepper

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, @Lemmywinks1978:

The logs do show that you are infected.
We can't work on malware diagnostics and removal in this sub-section of the forum.

So, for expert assistance, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help AND the preliminary steps to take to expedite the process.

>>>Since you have already run FRST and mbam-check, you just need to start a NEW topic in the malware removal section of the forum (or open a help desk ticket), including those same logs when you do.
A malware analyst will guide you through the cleanup process.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

I came across this thread while trying to figure out how to get rid of WinSpeed.  The uninstall routine appears to be looking for C:\Program Data\WinSpeed\WinSpeed.dll.  Instead, I had WinSpeed_x64.dll.  I copied that file and renamed it to WinSpeed.dll.  Uninstall routine appeared to be happy.  I have no idea yet if I have permanently removed this malware, but I at least go through the uninstall process.

Hello and  :welcome: , gjones54:

Thanks for reporting your favorable outcome.

This is a rather old thread started by another member.
Moreover, malware removal needs to be tailored specifically to each computer -- what works for one system might damage another.

And we regular forum members aren't permitted to offer malware removal advice, no matter how well-intentioned.

Having said all that....

If you would like some free, expert help scanning your system to be sure it's clean, then please feel free to take advantage of the resources we offer.

Such work cannot be performed in this particular area of the forum.
So I suggest that you might want to please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
It explains the options for free, expert help >>AND<< the preliminary steps to expedite the process.
A malware analyst will guide you through the cleanup process.

Thanks,