Error code 8 after updating to latest version

Need HELP.   Right after I did the automatic update of my licensed version, all I get at the end of the threat scan is no malware threat and a pop up window with scan error code 8.   When I check the log, it says that the scan failed.   I have lots of removal with the older version and I definitely know that I have malware on my pc since it slows down almost to a grinding halt.   Please help me get my Malwarebytes Anti Malware to work correctly again.  Thanks!  PS I did a simple uninstall and reinstall and it still doesn't work.

Hello and :welcome:

Let's try this first....

If that works and allows you to scan your computer an remove any items detected great, if not and since you suspect your infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank You,

Firefox

thank you.  I am a little confused with the instructions, just need a clarification before I proceed.   In your reply above, instructions were to uninstall my current MBAM.  I did.  So I know I clicked on your MBAM clean removal Process 2 x link and the instructions read :

• When ready please proceed with the following:
  • Make sure you disable the program Self Protection if you've enabled it. 
  • From Settings -> Advanced Settings -> uncheck the "Enable self-protection module" and close the program
  • Please download mbam-clean.exe from here to your desktop and save it.
  • Please close all open applications and temporarily shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts when running the tool.

Where should I disable self protection ?  I have already uninstalled the software.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I am worried about my PC. :-(

Hi:

Until Firefox returns....

MBAM Self-Protection (SP) is one of the advanced features.

If you had enabled it (Dashboard > Settings > Advanced Settings), then you would want to DISABLE it prior to running the mbam-clean removal tool.

If you skipped that step before running the removal tool, then it's possible that the removal would not be "clean". But, it's too late now. ;)

(OTOH, if SP was not enabled, then it doesn't matter.)

It is important to use the mbam-clean removal tool (rather than just uninstalling from the Windows control panel), and to reboot the computer when prompted.

Please proceed with the remainder of the instructions in this pinned topic: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

(They seem harder than they really are, and it may help to print them out and read through them before proceeding.)

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hi Dale, thanks for replying.   OK I am just a very ordinary user hahahaha.  When I bought the software, I did NOTHING and just ran it as it came.  I've now uninstalled my current MBAM, I haven't run mbam clean removal YET.   Do I want to reinstall the previous MBAM again and check if the SP was checked and if yes uncheck it.  Or is this feature manually checked after the first installation ?  Sorry not so computer savvy.  Thanks for further help.    PS.... nope not related to firefox LOL.

OK, so unfortunately, it sounds as if you didn't follow the clean-removal steps in the recommended sequence. 

FWIW, Self-Protection (SP) is disabled by default.  So, if you didn't change the MBAM v2 default settings, then it would not have needed to be disabled.

However, it *is* important to use the mbam-clean removal tool to fully remove the program before trying to reinstall it.

It sounds as if you might have skipped that step?

It would be best to run the removal tool anyway -- if it coughs up an error (because you already removed the program), then just click past it and allow the tool to run.

It will ask you to restart the computer after it runs.  Please allow it to do so -- very important!

Then continue with the rest of the instructions, please.

As I mentioned, it might help to print them out and read through them BEFORE you proceed.

In the attached screen shot, I have crossed out --- FOR YOU -- the steps about Self-Protection, because they no longer apply to your situation at this time.

While the steps might seem a bit "complicated", they are designed to get a good, clean installation of the program, in order to eliminate corruption or other problems.

Let us know how it goes,

post-29793-0-27071100-1406114843_thumb.p

OK I did everything exactly to the dot.   The first attempt didn't work at reinstalling because I had uninstalled the software but then I went back to square one and got to the point of the latest version installed and activated and scanning.  Still Error Code 8!!!!!   Please help.  I'll go the instructions now for copying the logs...

Hi, sportfox:

This looks as if it's going to require the use of tools and in-depth work on this system that cannot be performed in this particular area of the forum.

At this point, I would suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.

After reading through that sticky topic, if you are unable even to run FRST or the other basic scanners, in order to generate the preliminary logs, then I would suggest that you please start a new, separate post over in the malware removal section >>here<<, OR a help desk ticket for one-on-one email assistance from the support team >>here<<.
A malware analyst will assist you with scanning your system, with getting cleaned up (if needed) and with getting MBAM up and running.

>>Please try to be patient -- the forum is very busy with lots of folks needing help, and many of us are volunteers. We and the staff all do the best we can.

Thanks,

Yes, that sounds like a good plan.

I am just a home user and forum volunteer, but I recall seeing "Error code 8" only once or twice before your post.

So, it's likely not something common.

And if the usual troubleshooting doesn't resolve it, then it will need more in-depth work.

The first step will be to get some diagnostic logs of the system -- if you cannot run FRST, the helpers in the malware removal section and help desk will have other tools to try.

Thanks,