PUPs and Restart Computer When Required For Threat Removal

Malwarebytes has an aggresive PUP idenification policy in MBAM 2.0.  PUPs (Potenially Unwanted Progams) by definition are not a virus. PUPs or 'Grayware' may include spyware, adware and dialers however they are not as not as harmful to the computer as viruses, trojans, RATS, ransomeware, scareware and worms,

While I think it is a good idea to remove viruses, trojans, RATS, ransonware, scareware and worms as soon as found I think one can delay a bit on removing PUPs i.e., 'Grayware'.

My suggestion is that MBAM differentiate between viruses, trojans, RATs, ransomeware, scareware and worms vs PUPs i.e., Grayware with respect to the Adanced Scan setting Restart Computer When Required For Threat Removal.  While I agree that it is a good idea to auto-restart the computer when a scan detects viruses, trojans, RATS, ransomeware, scareware and worms I think lumping PUPs i.e,,  Grayware into this option creates unneeded untimely restarts to the computer. 

My suggestion is to create two options for Restart Computer When Required For Threat Removal.  One for viruses, trojans, RATS, ransomeware, scareware and worms etc and one for PUPs i.e., Grayware.  If the user leaves the box unchecked for PUP Restart Computer When Required For Threat Removal.  MBAM can then notify the user that a PUP is found and a restart is required.  PUPs can often be removed/deleted manually using uninstall software without requiing a restart to the computer and without causing harm to the computer through a manual delete.  Though I think it is good idea to restart the compuer after a PUP removal but not immediately necessary as with viruses.

I am making this suggestion because MBAM finds more PUPs on my computer than viruses etc and all too often I am stuck with an untimely restart of the computer.  I could uncheck the box in advanced settings for Restart Computer When Required For Threat Removal however then I would be left with an unprocessed virus etc on my computer after MBAM finds it in a scan.  This is something I prefer not to do.

• 3 weeks later...

This design bug needs to be fixed.   Twice today MBAM auto restarted a computer of mine to remove a PUP.   Each computer was in the middle of running an important program.  The restart required starting one program over from the beginning and the other program lost about six or more hours of work.  Changing the time of scans won't help because some important programs can run anytime during the day.

If you uncheck "Restart computer when required for threat removal" then you may be stuck with a virus.  Sure it is quarantined but it is not removed and may remain running in memory, who knows?

Users really need to have the choice to separate "Restart computer when required for threat removal" between PUPs and Trojans, keyloggers, etc

• 3 weeks later...