Java 6 Update 5 and 13

Hi folks,

I was reading several of the posts under "HiJackThis" and "Malware Removal Forum" and the MODs and Experts were suggesting running "JavaRa 1.13" to remove the Older Java version which have Security Holes.

Well, I decided to run that application on my laptop which has Vista Home Prem., 64-Bit and the program reported that it removed ...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre 1.6.0_05".

But when I went to the Control Panel > Uninstall a Program ... I see I have the following 2 entries for JRE ...

- Java 6 update 5 (dated 05/18/08 ... I suppose when the laptop was put together)

- Java 6 update 13 (was dated March 2009 ... but I reinstalled the new jre again ... so now dated 05/03/09)

Q1: Am I supposed to have the "Java 6 update 5"?

- Should I keep it?

- Is it needed since I have update 13?

- Or is it the Base of the Program and it is needed by update 13?

Q2: How come JavaRa did not give a logfile? According to Experts here I should have gotten a logfile!!!

When I ran JavaRa ... it never gave me a Log file! I searched my C:\ drive and nothing!

Also when I went to Java's website it suggested to install the jre for x64 version? So I did ... but I can not run IE7 in x64 since my Comodo Memory Firewall stops it and it warns me of "Heap Attack".

Q3: Is it Safer to run IE7 in X64 mode?

Thanks,

G! :angry:

Greetings. I believe the problem you had with JavaRa has to do with Vista compatibility, because of User Account Control it doesn't work so well. You should uninstall Java 6 update 5 from the Programs and Features interface in the Control Panel. You would only need to install the x64 version of Java if you were going to use the 64 bit version of IE, which I don't generally recommend because most plugins (like Flash etc) are not compatible with it and many sites don't render properly in it. I run Vista 64 myself and always use IE 32 bit and it works just fine :angry: . As far as being safe, using the 32 bit version can actually be safer, believe it or not, due to the fact that many security softwares are designed to be compatible with it and they use plugins to protect the browser from attack, such as integrated phishing filters etc. The 64 bit version would only be safer because of incompatibility with plugins (currently), not because it's 64 bit so I would recommend just sticking with what works (32 bit) and keeping your security software up to date and your computer patched with the latest Windows Updates.