Windows XP computer very slow to start up

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

So has the speed of the computer improved at all since when you first got here?

Please go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove and uninstall the following.

Advanced SystemCare
Game Booster

Then reboot the computer and run a new scan with the FRST program. Make sure you put a check mark in the ADDITIONS.TXT box so that it will create a new log for that as well.
Post back both those new logs when ready and let me know about the speed of the computer now.

I have been unable to find Advanced System Care or Game Booster listed in the Add/Remove part of Control Panel. Before I started this thread, in fact when I was still working my way through the other thread I did uninstall quite a few things so possibly already did these too as I can't find them now.

I have run the FRST again and post the following logs.

Regarding the computer speed, we have timed it from pressing the on switch on the tower to when we can actually press the start button or click on the Firefox icon and the total time between those is now 2 mins 55 seconds. (I do have AVG and Malwarebytes trial version also starting up at the same time. When watching the computer it, it seems a long time still but OH says it is quicker as it was about 4 and a half mins before so yes it would seem it is quicker.

Can we make it quicker than that?

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Okay well the computer is still showing quite a few services that are not running or not running right. Do you have the Windows installation CD ?

Please review the following site on using the System File Checker and run it on your system to see if it can automatically fix some of these errors for you.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

Then we'll need to look at manually repairing some of the others it probably won't be able to fix on it's own.

I do have the Windows Installation CD.

I have been to the link in your last post and followed the Instructions in the first post there. As I have the CD I was able to use it and did not encounter any problems. I did visit Windows Update afterwards as per the instructions.

Unfortunately the computer is still very slow to start up - in fact slower - I timed it at 3 mins 8 seconds from switching on at the tower to having any icons on the desktop.

• Root Admin

Let's run some other scans and see if those services are still having issues. Please restart the computer 2 times before running the following.
After the 2 reboots please run the following.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

NEXT:

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

MiniToolbox will not run at all. I closed Firefox before running it. I have deleted it and redownloaded it but it won't get past me pressing the Go button. I also closed down AVG and Malwarebytes before trying to run it.

I have run Farbar Service Scanner and posted the log.

thank you

FSS.txt

• Root Admin

Let me have you temporarily uninstall your AVG antivirus and reboot the computer.

Then run a new FRST scan with the ADDITIONS.TXT file check box marked to get a new one of those logs too.

Don't go browsing the Internet without antivirus just post back the logs and see if Minitoolbox will run or not and let me know. Then you'll need to either reinstall AVG or another antivirus so that you have protection.

Have unistalled AVG and run the new scans and posted the logs below. I was still not able to run the MiniToolbox tool.

I have tried to reinstal AVG and it appeared to be an older version (although the updates were still updating) - but could not get it working again so i have had to download the latest version and put that on. I have not browsed looking for it - I got the address via my ipad but there has now been a short time (about 10 - 15 mins) where the computer was not protected.

thank you

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Well the logs still show some crashes but not sure why yet. Please restart the computer and then run the following. Make sure to disable AVG while scanning.

Please download Gmer from here by clicking on the "Download EXE" Button.

• Double click on the randomly named GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent.
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • Sections
    • IAT/EAT
    • Show All ( should be unchecked by default )
  • Leave everything else as it is.
  • Close all other running programs as well as your Browser.
  • Click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the Save.. button, and in the File name area, type in "ark.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.
  • Please post the content of the ark.txt here.

**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

Speed of the computer is still the same.

The other main issue is that a game that used to play perfectly well on this computer randomly crashes as well. The game won't play on the new computer as that one is windows 8 but for years played fine on this Xp computer which is why we want to get it working. Currenty we only have the basic game on the computer but there are some patches for it which we need to download and install and we have held off doing this whilst you have been helping fix things. Should we install the patches and see if that helps with the game? We can live with the computer being slow to start up if we can get the game working.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Well at this point my guess would be that the registry and age of the system is more at fault here and the cause of slowness. If you have the install CD you may want to consider backing up all your data and reinstalling Windows from scratch which will certainly improve the overall speed of the system.

Please read the following

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware

I have read the link. I'm assuming that there is nothing obviously wrong with the computer that you can see from all the logs? I'm happy to reinstall Windows and see if this sorts it but do not know how to do this. There is nothing on the computer I need to keep. I do have the installation CD. Would it be possible for you to guide me thru this or is it as simple as just inserting the CD?

There is nothing i need to save on this computer. Can you confirm if you have found anything wrong and if it can be fixed? If not then I may as we'll reinstall XP. I have googled how to do it but the cd version is older than what is already on it.

Thanks

• Root Admin

We've already cleaned up a ton of junk and unwanted programs from the computer - I do not currently see any other way to make the computer substantially better without formatting the drive and reinstalling Windows.

The very first step is to visit the MFG website and download at least the network drivers and the Intel Chipset drivers or amd drivers as the install CD in most cases will not have them.
Save them to an external drive that you can access via USB or another computer to use on the computer when needed for the drivers.

Clean Install Windows XP - michael stevens tech

Clean install of Windows XP - example 1

• Root Admin

All CDs have older files. You basically install the OS and then you go get all the updates from Microsoft.  Depending on the age/color of your install disk it could be Service Pack 0,1,2,or 3 but you should be able to download Service Pack 3 and install it if needed. Then go to Microsoft updates and download all of the updates it will let you get.