Intel Anti-Theft

abrenden123

My buddy bought a laptop a few years ago and put the Intel Anti-Theft system on it. I think the system was engineered by McAffee. He got the computer when he lived with his foks, and they had internet. So there wasnt any problem hooking up to the servers. He moved to a place with no internet, the Anti-Theft server couldn't update. It has long since locked him out of any sort of usablility for this computer. He has pictures and other files he doesn't want to get rid of, so i cant just wipe it.The computer is running Windows 7. He tells me it has been years since he has been inside the computer. I tried calling McAfee customer support and they couldnt/wouldnt help me without a reciept or username/password.

The text that comes up when you start the computer

"Intel Anti-Theft system lock due to: Disable Timer Expired

Time Left to enter Password: (a bunch of time)

Please select one of the following for platform recovery:

1-User Password

2-Server Token Password

Select one of the above options to proceed...

Compter locked by Intel® Anti-Theft Technology

intel Anti-Theft service provider ID:2000"

Is there anything I can do? What about removing the hard drive to another computer, just so I can get the photos he wants? Thanks for the help in advance. This is easily the best computer help forum on the web.

yep ... hooking the drive up to a linux based machine is a good idea .

you mentioned that the machine is a bit older (by inference) ... you may have to use a 'nix machine that has a pata connector (aka ribbon connector) or an adapter .

(DHL could elaborate on this)

an option is to try to boot a "live disk" flavor of a 'nix OS and then grab the files and off-load them .

if the machine is aver 4 years old i would try an older release of a linux OS (say mint 9 with the gnome/MATE desktop) .

if you are not familiar with linux boot disks and systems , find someone locally who is .