Infected and in trouble

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the refresh require the installation disc?

I'm honestly not sure if I have it, but I'm finally going home on Monday, so I could try to find it if you indeed think its my best option.

And if we're being honest I really don't use any metro app besides e-mail so if they don't work it isn't that big of a loss to me.

Apologies we cross posted there, when refresh is run the installation CD would only be needed if system files were either corrupt or missing. You also must be aware that depending on the refresh image that is saved your system could revert back to Windows 8, in that case you would have to update again to version 8.1, That action is not with issues regarding activation problems....

There are a couple of simple problems that effect apps in the Metro mode:

UAC (User Access Control) is turned OFF, and or:

Screen resolution is set incorrectly, it must greater than 1024 x 768

Sorry I'm a bit useless with this, how do I check if UAC is turned off? The screen resolution is fine.

I think this problem started when that one program I used during our process got stuck because of my mistake and I had to turn the computer off. After that I remember the metro tiles looking strange for a moment.

But I am almost certain this started at some point during the virus check process.

The slider seems to be in the normal position for me if that is what I need to check...

I know this is propably not your area anymore, but do you think it would be fine if I didn't do anything and just left the windows apps broken?

I really don't use them anyway.

I'm just worried if this means there could be other things wrong with my system as well now that this has arisen. 

I do not believe there is any type of infection left on your system, the metro issue is definitely something I would personally do something about. To me this problem will more than likely be down to damage within the registry.

Whilst this in itself does not affect the Desktop version and probably never will, I would look at fixing metro apps. There are probably two ways to tackle this problem, Refresh or using System Restore.

Refresh will fix the issue but may create others, that really depends on the snapshot image that is current.

System Restore will also probably fix the problem, but that may take us back to an infected state.

There is a 3rd option, as this is a Laptop it will probably have a restore partition, meaning Factory reset, as delivered state....

I guess the choice is yours, tell me your thoughts..

To me personally I would run Refresh, regarding your situation.... I`d probably go for system restore, that will be an easier solution, best to use a system restore point prior to any issues starting.

Use this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-8-system-restore-guide/ for instructions, read through a couple of times until you fully understand how to run/use that action.

Once you`ve gone back see how your system responds, also if any issues or concerns.....

I think I'll have to think about what to do for a while, so I believe this topic could be closed.

I'm starting to think that I won't do anything about the metro issue, but if I find more trouble I think I'll go to a professional and see what they recommend as quite honestly I am absolutely clueless on this thing and think I could cause more trouble than benefit if I tried doing anything myself.

Thank you for all of your help Kevin, you've been very helpful!

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!