Tooltip balloon after database update won't go away

Windows 7

MBAM Pro 1.75.0.1300

Tooltip balloon shows up by systemtray after successful database update, then lingers permanently until I click the X for it to close.

I don't even see a setting for this tooltip balloon.

I see a setting to show a balloon when a filesystem threat is blocked

and a setting for when a malicious website is blocked (checked), but no setting for showing a balloon when database has updated.

I have program set to check for updates every 5 minutes.

Any instructions on how I can make this tooltip balloon close by itself or, better yet, make it not appear at all?

Hello, mynorgeek: :)

Sorry you are having a problem with the MBAM update tooltip lingering after successful update.
It's possible that it could be a problem with Windows, not MBAM.
However, it might be worth trying to cleanly reinstall the program, to see if that resolves the issue.
To do so, please follow the steps in Option 1 of this tutorial: MBAM Clean Removal Process
Be sure to reboot when requested, after running the removal tool and before reinstalling.

Also, if you want to turn off the tooltip notifications after updating, please refer to this illustration:
dtyz3ye.png

Having said all that....
Checking for updates every 5 minutes is really not necessary. :)
It will put a strain on your system and on the MBAM update servers -- hourly should be more than sufficient.

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

Also, if you want to turn off the tooltip notifications after updating, please refer to this illustration

That is what I was looking for!  TY!

Checking for updates every 5 minutes is really not necessary.

It will put a strain on your system and on the MBAM update servers -- hourly should be more than sufficient.

Regarding whether frequent update checking is necessary or not, I'd say that is definitely a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Plus, if the devs felt that checking for updates every 5 minutes was not necessary, put a strain on a user's system and on the update servers, then why did they make that option available to us?

Hi:

Tooltip notifications: you're most welcome. :)

Update checks every 5 minutes: It's certainly your choice to configure it that way, but, since updates are issued (on average) 10 or 12 times in a 24-hour period (occasionally more often), checking every 5 minutes is just plan overkill. I'll need to defer to the staff to specifically answer your question about programming.

Cheers,

daledoc1

It's certainly your choice to configure it that way, but, since updates are issued (on average) 10 or 12 times in a 24-hour period (occasionally more often), checking every 5 minutes is just plan overkill. I'll need to defer to the staff to specifically answer your question about programming.

Again, personal preference.  You're saying overkill, while my thinking is, why should I wait up to an hour for an update when I could have it sooner?  It's already a reactive process... what benefit is derived from adding to the length of time before a new def makes its way onto a user's machine?  Because you say it's overkill?  Not to me it isn't.

And the part about putting a strain on my system... again, I don't see it.  Computers contact the internet.  That's part of what they do.

Putting a strain on the update servers?  The program allows for me to configure frequent checks.  If it was a strain, the smallest increment would be a bigger number.

Point is, I don't make a habit of telling folks that they are under-protected by only checking every hour.  That's their business.

what benefit is derived from adding to the length of time before a new def makes its way onto a user's machine?

All for personal preference myself. That being said. I used to set all machines I sold MBAM to set for realtime updates. Then came  the April 15 bad database update. It was on the server from the info I read for 8 minutes. Need less to say The next  3 days I had over 100 computers in my shop with issues.  The only ones that were not affected are the ones that were powered off or not set on realtime. In my humble opinion hourly gives Malwarebytes a chance to catch any issues before in most cases before the next update.

I remember that April well... hundreds of system files were quarantined.

I get your point about update frequency and how it can potentially impact a user.

But I will keep my faith in the MBAM team and the preventative measures they have put in place since that event, to preclude such a thing from happening again.

Doing so allows me to stick with my 5 minute interval preference.

And I have also unticked the following default setting, just in case...

Automatically quarantine filesystem threats detected by the protection module

And I have also unticked the following default setting, just in case...

filesystem threats detected by the protection module

Thats what I do on my personal machines. But until that option was added to Automatically quarantine I was having several end users come back infected. Now hardly any. ;)

Most end users cant be bothered to read warnings.