Who says "Crime doesn't pay?"; RE: Grand Theft Auto V

ShyWriter

. Grand Theft Auto V rakes in over $1 billion in three days

The launch-day record for Take-Two will more than cover the costs to make the game.

by Megan Geuss - Sept 20 2013, 7:15pm EST

In more billion-dollar news this Friday (this time with a happier bent), the highly-anticipated Grand Theft Auto V has crossed the $1 billion threshold after being on sale for just three days. On its first day on shelves, the fifth installment of the 16-year-old franchise made $800 million.

A mixture of solid-to-breathless reviews as well as five years of anticipation since the 2008 release of Grand Theft Auto IV contributed to creator Take Two Interactive's most lucrative launch ever. According to Reuters, development of GTA V cost Take-Two's Rockstar Games studio “between $200 million and $250 million, according to some analysts' estimates.”

The fast-selling game definitely stands out compared to other recent blockbuster game launches. One game title that comes close to GTA's launch success is Activision's first-person shooter Call Of Duty: Black Ops II, which hit $1 billion in global sales after 15 days on the market.

"Grand Theft Auto is a cultural phenomenon and Rockstar Games continues to redefine what can be achieved in interactive entertainment," CEO Strauss Zelnick told GameInformer. "We are incredibly proud of the extraordinary critical and commercial response to Grand Theft Auto V."

GTA V is currently available for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. While Take-Two has not yet announced versions of the game for the coming Xbox One and PlayStation 4, investors will surely be watching to see if the company can sustain the momentum come November.

Steve

With this kind of incredible success I suspect the developers will eventually port it to the pc. We can hope. I don't like the idea that I have to run out and buy a console just so I can play it. But I can see from several reviews that it will be RAM heavy. Let's hear it for overclocking!

• Root Admin

Wow that is amazing, have no clue why it cost so much to make either..... I might have to break down and go get a copy of it for my son.....

Have not played in a long time but as I recall it's rather "adult" in nature to be a kid's game but I'm sure much of that money spent is from kids or parents buying it.