Opera breached, has code cert stolen, possibly spreads malware - advice on what to do

mountaintree16

Sweet!  I run PRO, so no worries here :)  I just wonder if any saved passwords could have been stolen... gonna change mine just to be sure asap!

Sweet!  I run PRO, so no worries here :)  I just wonder if any saved passwords could have been stolen... gonna change mine just to be sure asap!

I don't allow Opera to synch my passwords. The My Opera Community is stored on its own cluster of servers, so it shouldn't have been breeched, however if someone ever does breech it all they will find is the unique randomly generated 20 character password that I use for my My Opera account. Or, at least, what they should find is either an MD5 or SHA1 hash generated from my password, as you should never store a plaintext password in a database.

Good to know! :)

Dudeeeee the newest version of Opera is weirddd.

And I don't like how you don't press the  key/wand to enter your saved password, it's already filled in there.  Meh.

And my bookmarks toolbar is gone :(  boo.  I used that a lot.  Maybe it'll be back to Firefox for me...

Also it messed up my downloaded setup files... they would not open or run.  Unacceptable.  I got rid of that bs in a hurry!

Dudeeeee the newest version of Opera is weirddd.

I do believe that this should explain everything.

They're doing what they can to sell it to people, however Opera 15 is basically just Google Chrome made up to look like Opera and with some of Opera's features added to make it seem more like Opera.

Personally, I say it doesn't matter what features they add or what GUI changes they make, it is no longer Opera now that the Presto layout engine has been abandoned.

When I check for updates from within my Opera browser (12.15), is says I have the latest version of Opera.  Is it OK to download 15 and install it on top of 12.15?

Oh, never mind.  I guess that's not the case.  It looks like 15 is a new thing and 12.x will be around for a while.  

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1708862&page=1#comment14449572

Yuck!  I strongly dislike Chrome!!!!  I'm staying with 12.x as long as it's supported and if they dont' clean up their act, abandoning it after that.  And I do NOT like my bookmarks toolbar being gone and everything being all different!!!!!!

I have used Google Chrome and I liked it, but on my XP laptop, I have found it to be really sluggish.  I think it's checking for updates in the background.  I don't have it installed on the Windows 8 laptop, nor will I.  It's enough that I have Opera which I use for casual browsing and message boards.  DH uses Firefox and prefers that, and I also use Firefox for business purposes.  I think on Windows 8 these 3 browsers  (Opera, FF, and IE) will be enough.  

I think just for funzies I'll fire up the XP laptop and give Opera 15 a try, see what all the fuss is about.   ;)

When I check for updates from within my Opera browser (12.15), is says I have the latest version of Opera.  Is it OK to download 15 and install it on top of 12.15?

Oh, never mind.  I guess that's not the case.  It looks like 15 is a new thing and 12.x will be around for a while.

I am not finding any official statement about this on the developer blog, however I didn't bother checking Opera employee blogs to see if the answer is there.

That being said, when Haavard put up a poll on his employee blog, a lot of people voted that they consider the switch a bad idea (including myself). Out of the 785 votes in the poll, 43% think it is a bad idea, 28% believe it is a good idea, and 28% are undecided. They have received a lot of negative feedback about Opera 15, and I imagine that this is the major reason why they have kept Opera 12 around rather than forcing an 'upgrade'.

Personally, I remember what Jon von Tetzchner used to tell people when they asked about adding features to appease the "It's not Firefox" crowd. His answer was usually along the lines of, if we make Opera more like Firefox, then Opera will just become Firefox, and will lose everything that makes it unique.

I knew that Opera wasn't going to go in a good direction from the moment that Jon von Tetzchner stepped down as CEO of Opera Software and that new guy replaced him. That was the day that I knew extensions would be added, and that the direction of their browser development would completely change. I was a huge Opera fan back in the day, but they have been ruining my favorite browser for years now...

Yuck!  I strongly dislike Chrome!!!!  I'm staying with 12.x as long as it's supported and if they dont' clean up their act, abandoning it after that.  And I do NOT like my bookmarks toolbar being gone and everything being all different!!!!!!

Chrome usually refers to Google's proprietary browser not the open framework that is Chromium. Both are developed by Google, but Google Chrome has tons of additional features such as bundling of flash, automatic updater and other Google specific features/api's while Chromium is used as starting point, stripped down and released under the BSD License.

The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively. This site houses the documentation and code related to the Chromium projects and is intended for developers interested in learning about and contributing to the open-source projects.

http://www.chromium.org/

More then likely Opera 15 is based on Chromium like SRWare Iron is and doesn't contain the proprietary stuff that Google Chrome has.

I gave it a go on my XP laptop, where I already had Opera 12.15 installed.  No bookmarks, OK I worked with what was provided and got the bookmarks from Opera 12.15 over as a speed dial folder.  I wondered, however, about the lack of ability to import bookmarks from other browsers.  There seemed to be absolutely no way to do that.  Just to confirm, I installed it on my Windows 7 netbook, which does not have a previous version of Opera.  Sure enough, no means to import bookmarks.  Very strange.  If Opera expects new users to be able to work with this, I don't know how.

Oh, and Opera 15 makes itself the default browser without asking first, which is a little obnoxious, although easily remedied.  

I'm still looking for a way to import bookmarks from other browsers...

People on the My Opera boards are complaining.  A lot.  I actually think I could work with it if it weren't for the bookmark thing.  

There is an extension to manage bookmarks in Opera 15.  I installed that on the Windows 7 netbook.  It's a clumsy process overall, I think the extension needs a bit of work.  To get my Firefox bookmarks to Opera 15, I had to export the bookmarks from Firefox to an html file.  The Opera extension allows you to import bookmarks from that file.  The way it displays the results, however, is just not very tidy.  I don't have a screenshot, it's just something one would have to try to see what I'm talking about.  The extension puts a bookmark icon in the upper right corner of the browser.  When you click on the icon, the bookmarks are displayed in a list in a panel.  However, the top part of the bookmark panel has a banner which is quite wide.  I was only able to scroll down the list of bookmarks just so far, and that wasn't far enough to get to the bottom of the list.  Clicking on the banner at the top of the bookmark panel results in the bookmarks being displayed in a full browser page.   To the right of each url is a highlighted "Open", and clicking on that opens your web page.  So overall, the process is just clunky.  

In goofing around with the speed dials, I discovered that one can drag one speed dial into another so that the results are in a folder, the way one can with the apps on an iPad.  I liked that.  I'm not sure if the speed dials can be named, the way the iPad app folders can.  It would be helpful if they could be.  

I think for my own purposes I would actually enjoy the speed dials, and maybe this will make me more motivated to keep my bookmarks 'cleaned up', as in not keeping around a bunch that are obsolete or that I don't need anymore.  Judging from the protests on the My Opera boards, though, I don't think the developers are going to be able to keep some sort of bookmark functionality out of 15 and onward if they expect it to survive, and this needs to come with the browser, not requiring being added later as an extension (which, it seems to me, was likely put together in haste).