FBI Virus to stuck in recovery loop...

Hello,

I have a gateway all in one desktop computer. I got the fbi virus and tried to load the computer in safe mode, which would not work, and boot malwarebytes from my flash drive, which did not work. The computer froze on both accounts. Then, as a last resort, I tried to use the recovery discs that I had made myself. Well, the recovery failed on the very last disc as it said starting services or something like that then "Windows couldn't complete installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the application."I kept the 4th disc in the computer and tried to restart. Still the same message comes back over and over. I'm trying to get back into my computer without having to do a clean install or restore to factory defaults as I would like to keep the files I have on the computer. Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum, here's how we deal with that malware:

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.
    Plug the flash drive into the infected PC.
  2. If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.
    If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.
    To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.

Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.

To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:

• Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

[*]On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

• Startup Repair
      System Restore
      Windows Complete PC Restore
      Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
      Command Prompt
      Select Command Prompt
      Once in the Command Prompt:

[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.

[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.

[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.

[*]In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.

[*]The tool will start to run.

[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

[*]Press Scan button.

[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

MrC

I should add some detail sorry. I got the fbi virus. The virus made it so that I could not start in safe mode and would simply restart the cd. When i tried to change the boot order to allow the flash drive that I had malwarebytes on to start first, it told me that there was a missing os. So i could not do anything with the flash drive. I could not get the computer to start in any way, so I used the recovery disc. I chose the option to keep my files as opposed to going to factory defaults. The recovery disc ran through discs 1-4 without a problem. However, toward the last steps, the computer got stuck the way i described before and gave the error message "Windows couldn't complete installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the application."Now i cannot do anything at all. If i try to start without a CD in the machine the error message comes up, and when i try to start with the fourth cd the message comes up. I have not yet tried the 1st CD again to just run the recovery disc again as I decided to wait for the advice of the computer gods. Obviously, I will not be able to give a hijack log or anything until I can get out of this loop. I would love to keep all of my files, but fear at this point, I will either have to restore to factory defaults or get a windows 7 boot CD and do a clean install. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok

1) restore operating system to factory defaults

2) restore operating system and retain user data (this is the one that i chose that failed the first time) (is there a way i can get into the device manager during this process? i heard that sometimes recovery can fail if there is a problem with a driver)

3) completely restore to computer to factory defaults

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!