Laptop freezes during malwarebytes scan

Hi,

My laptop started behaving strangely last week - wouldn't boot up, kept freezing (could move mouse but not select anything)

ctrl-alt-del wouldn't work during a freeze, basically had to force close each time.

I tried system restore and chkdsk, it found a couple of errors ans solved the problem of booting up but laptop was still freezing regularly.

I googled the symptoms and Malwarebytes was recommended so I installed it and tried to run it - each time I try to scan (quick or full) it freezes when it gets to Temporary Internet Files either at the folder Content.IE5 or a folder called Antiphishing.

The system is running Micrososft Security Essentials so I followed you instructions to avoid a clash between this and MBAM.

I also followed your advice in FAQs Section L (scan in safe mode, defragment etc.) with no luck.

Aways freezes when I attempt to to backup, clean up or defragment the volume.

When I force close and reboot the Active Desktop error message appears.

OS is XP

As a last resort I tried deleting the contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder but guess what, it froze....

Is there anything at all you can suggest?

Many Thanks

Joanne

Hello and welcome to MBAM forum, gitelajonchere: :)

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your laptop freezing.

If I understand correctly, it freezes NOT ONLY when running an MBAM scan, BUT ALSO when trying to backup, cleanup & defragment the drive?

(IOW, the freezing problem is not limited to running MBAM scans?)

It sounds as if you have already tried most of the steps for routine troubleshooting.

I wonder if you may have some corrupt files. I'm not personally familiar with the method for running system file checker (sfc scannow) for XP, so we'll need to wait for one of the more expert folks to come along. I suppose this could also be due to malware, or to something more mundane, such as a lack of space on the the HDD.

In the interim, why don't we start with obtaining a bit more info about your system. This will help the MBAM staff to determine what might be causing the problem.

Please follow the instructions below and then reply back to this topic with BOTH of the resulting logs (DDS.txt and attach.txt).

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool, on Vista or Win 7 right click and select Run as administrator

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt
    2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Thanks!

daledoc1

PS If this turns out to be a problem NOT relating to MBAM per se, the mods may move this topic to a different sub-forum, such as PC Help or Malware Removal. :)

HI Daledoc1,

Thanks for your reply

'If I understand correctly, it freezes NOT ONLY when running an MBAM scan, BUT ALSO when trying to backup, cleanup & defragment the drive?'

Yes, that's right. I tried to do a defrag again overnight last night and it got stuck at 16%. Also I tried to use Retrospect Backup to backup the C drive to an external drive but that also got stuck.

Other than that the latop is working ok, but it freezes occasionally.

I've attached the logs as requested,

Thanks for your help

Joanne

attach.txt

dds.txt

Joanne,

Just some "starter" checkpoints:

How old is this laptop/notebook ? What is the brand / model ?

Does it have an overheating issue ?

If you touch the housing by the keyboard (after some usage of say a half-hour to an hour or so) is it HOT to the touch ?

Overheating is one of the worst enemies of notebooks. and if existing, you may want to get a notebook "cooler" such as by Targus.

Did your CHKDSK go all the way thru without any errors ?

Have you done a memory diagnostic to check the physical RAM memory ?

MS Windows memory diagnostic tool WINDIAG

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, you must reboot your computer with the disk or CD-ROM on which you installed Windows Memory Diagnostic in the drive. After the reboot, Windows Memory Diagnostic will load and its interface will appear. After loading, the first test pass will begin, using the default standard test suite, and continue until complete, unless Windows Memory Diagnostic is either paused or exited. Once the first test pass is complete, Windows Memory Diagnostic will begin a second test pass using the same settings as before. Windows Memory Diagnostic will continue to run test passes until you exit.

Maurice,

Thanks for helping me with this.

To answer your questions -

How old is this laptop/notebook?

The laptop is 3 years old, it was a Grade A1 (as new) refurb when I bought it.

What is the brand / model?

Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-2E5

Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB Ram, 320GB HD

I downgraded the OS from WIndows Vista Business to XP home edition (I don't like Vista!)

Does it have an overheating issue?

If you touch the housing by the keyboard (after some usage of say a half-hour to an hour or so) is it HOT to the touch ?

It does get pretty warm and I've been working it hard lately. I wouldn't say HOT to touch though.

Overheating is one of the worst enemies of notebooks. and if existing, you may want to get a notebook "cooler" such as by Targus.

I'm going to take your advice and get one of these, thanks

Did your CHKDSK go all the way thru without any errors?

It found errors and fixed them apparently

Have you done a memory diagnostic to check the physical RAM memory?

I carried out a test with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool as suggested, it found no errors although it said that not all the memory could be tested due to deficiencies in the diagnostic tool (not the computer) - is this normal?

Thanks

Joanne

Joanne,

To your last question, yes I think so.

You should be able to go to the Toshiba support website, and look & see if they have a memory diagnostic tool.

Question for you: I see the very recent use of Combofix. Did you use it on your own? or are you getting help elsewhere ?

javaicon.gifYour Java runtime is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

• Accept the EULA & Download the latest version of >> Windows Offline << from here
    or >> from here <<
    and save it to your desktop.
  • Get the Offline version that corresponds to your "bit-tedness" of your Windows (32-bit or 64-bit)
    How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or 64-bit version of the Windows operating system
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser(s).
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, select Programs and Features and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE or Java) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7u7-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.
    ( jre-7u7-windows-x64.exe if this is a 64-bit Windows o.s.)

• After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup) javaicon.gif
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked

• Applications and Applets
        Trace and Log Files

[*]Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window

Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.

[*]Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window

Small tweaks for Java runtime, since most all users do not need to load Java at each Windows startup:

Click Advanced Tab. Expand the Miscellaneous item.

UN-check the line Java quick starter

Press Apply then OK. Close the applet when done.

Next, {un-related to any run issue of MBAM } you should get and run MalwareBytes' Startuplite http://www.malwareby...startuplite.php

to reduce the number of un-necessary programs loaded at each Windows startup.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thanks Maurice.

I followed your instructions, reinstalled Java and carried out a Toshiba memory diagnostic (HD and RAM both passed)

I then carried out a Malwarebytes quick scan and it finished with no errors. So it looks like the problem is now solved.

Thanks so much!

In answer to your question about Combofix, yes I did try it after reading forum posts about problems similar to mine. It crashed, and then I read that you only recommend using Combofix under expert guidance so I left it alone after that and contacted the forum for help.

I'm carrying out a full Malwarebytes scan at the moment so will let you know if that goes ok. Will also try a backup.

Thanks again for your help

Joanne