Online Armor Exclusions

Good afternoon everyone. I've recently uninstalled avast! Free Antivirus and ran its uninstaller tool. No problems, thank goodness. I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials and also installed Online Armor Free Firewall. Is there any need for exclusions between the two (OA and MSE)? Also, does OA need exclusions for Malwarebytes and vice versa? I've already put the exclusions for Malwarebytes and MSE into effect, just wondering about OA. If anybody can help, please let me know. I've searched online and I can't seem to find a solution. Everyone on the Emsisoft Forum says "put appropriate exclusions", but don't specify which ones! It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance!

As long as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can download database updates I do not believe any exclusions are needed.

I'm not sure if MSE needs to be excluded from OA or not.

Malwarebytes and MSE should actually now get along without any conflicts, even without exclusions, though you may still set them if you wish.

For excluding Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from any antivirus or firewall, it's usually the same 3 files every time (mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe).

Here's instructions on adding exclusions for MBAM to Online Armor, just in case you need them:

1. Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it (you can also open it from the System Tray icon).
  2. Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  3. Go to the Exclusions tab.
  4. Click on the Add button.
  5. Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware directory (normally in C:\Program Files), click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  6. Close the Online Armor window.

As long as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can download database updates I do not believe any exclusions are needed.

I'm not sure if MSE needs to be excluded from OA or not.

Malwarebytes and MSE should actually now get along without any conflicts, even without exclusions, though you may still set them if you wish.

For excluding Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from any antivirus or firewall, it's usually the same 3 files every time (mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe).

That's good news. Unfortuantely, I ran into a problem. I installed MSE and it installed fine. Then, I added exclusions to it for Online Armor (C:\Program Files (x86) Online Armor), I wasn't sure if those were the right ones but they were the only ones I could think of at that time. Then I added the Microsoft Security Client to the Online Armor exclusions. Then I restarted Windows after updating Online Armor and MSE. When I got back in, the Real-Time Protection modules was turned off. So, I clicked on MSE and it said Windows failed validation. Please click the below button to resolve this issue (the button was red and on the MSE interface). I clicked it and it made me install a validation thing from microsoft.com, then it told me to run it. It said Windows finished validating and said "Congratulations on having official Windows" or something along those lines. But when I went to try and turn on Real-Time Protection on MSE, it said Windows hasn't been validated. I restarted and still the same thing. I just uninstalled MSE at that point and ran its uninstall utility from bleepingcomputer.com, then I turned Online Armor off and installed Avira Free and turned Online Armor back on after "personalizing" the scan and real-time protection options. Added exclusions for Online Armor in the real-time protection configuration for both of them. Just about to add mbam to the Avira exception. Where should I add mbam.exe, mbamgui.exe, and mbamservice.exe in the configuration? They have 2 different exceptions list (Avira).

Here's instructions on adding exclusions for MBAM to Online Armor, just in case you need them:

1. Click on the Start button, go to All Programs, go to Online Armor, and click on the Online Armor icon to open it (you can also open it from the System Tray icon).
  2. Click on Options in the menu on the left.
  3. Go to the Exclusions tab.
  4. Click on the Add button.
  5. Use the little [+] and [-] icons to the left of folder names to open and close them, find the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware directory (normally in C:\Program Files), click on it to highlight it, and then click OK at the bottom.
  6. Close the Online Armor window.

Okay, did that. Well, I have a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, so shouldn't it be C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware? Just wondering, but thanks for the info.

Thanks alot guys for reading all this. I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer them for me.

:) :)

I'm not sure which exclusions list it would be for Avira, and just as with MSE, I don't believe exclusions are needed (one of our Research team members runs Avira Premium with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO without any issues at all and has been doing so for years).

I would say use both though, if you want to add the exclusions as I'm not sure which would be for excluding from their realtime protection.

As for the MSE issue you had, I'm not sure what would cause that.

Yeah, I have an HP laptop from BestBuy (like we went there and bought it, not shipped), so this was really awkward. The weird thing is I installed MSE like a month ago, then decided to stick with the previous antivirus and did a system restore. At that time, it worked perfectly, no issues, nada. Unless my Windows has a mind of its own, it shouldn't just become "invalid". I was like: "Come on!, This is ridiculous!".

Yeah, I have an HP laptop from BestBuy (like we went there and bought it, not shipped), so this was really awkward. The weird thing is I installed MSE like a month ago, then decided to stick with the previous antivirus and did a system restore. At that time, it worked perfectly, no issues, nada. Unless my Windows has a mind of its own, it shouldn't just become "invalid". I was like: "Come on!, This is ridiculous!".

I've had that come up occasionally on Windows 7, but as with you, I was always able to validate, but after I did, MSE worked fine so I'm not sure what caused the MSE problems to persist in your case. Perhaps OnlineArmor or some other application interefered with MSE during install or startup.

Could be, but the thing is, I turned off the firewall and all real-time protection on Online Armor during installation of MSE. I forgot to turn it back on after the exclusions for both of them were done and when I restarted MSE had that validation issue. This means that it couldn't have been Online Armor because it was turned off during isntallation and during the restart. MSE did it by itself.

P.S: Heard MSE v4 came out. Is the official download on windows.microsoft.com been updated so that it is MSE v4 that's downloaded, not v2?

Could be, but the thing is, I turned off the firewall and all real-time protection on Online Armor during installation of MSE. I forgot to turn it back on after the exclusions for both of them were done and when I restarted MSE had that validation issue. This means that it couldn't have been Online Armor because it was turned off during isntallation and during the restart. MSE did it by itself.

I found in testing that even if all components of OA are turned off, it is still active in some respects, so you might try once more by removing it entirely, rebooting, then installing MSE again to see if it works. At least if the issue occurs then, you'll know for certain that OA had nothing to do with it.
P.S: Heard MSE v4 came out. Is the official download on windows.microsoft.com been updated so that it is MSE v4 that's downloaded, not v2?
Yes, the version on their website is version 4.

Okie doke Samuel. I'll see what I can do. But now that I'm all snug with Avira, I kinda don't wanna go through all that hassle again. I'll try it on my other computer and see if the problem persists. Thanks for all your help :)

I've noticed that some members have personalized their thing on top of their picture. Like for you, instead of saying "forum deity", it says "exile". Same with sho-dan, he has something in Chinese (I think its Chinese, no offense meant if it isn't, I'm just horrible at recognizing languages). How do I personalize mine? I asked daledoc1 and he told me there should be this "Member Title" thing in my settings but I don't have one. I can't find it, he even showed me a picture of where his is, but I can't find mine in that spot. Do you know when I'll be able to get the Member Title option, or do you have to earn it? Thanks :)

I've noticed that some members have personalized their thing on top of their picture. Like for you, instead of saying "forum deity", it says "exile". Same with sho-dan, he has something in Chinese (I think its Chinese, no offense meant if it isn't, I'm just horrible at recognizing languages). How do I personalize mine? I asked daledoc1 and he told me there should be this "Member Title" thing in my settings but I don't have one. I can't find it, he even showed me a picture of where his is, but I can't find mine in that spot. Do you know when I'll be able to get the Member Title option, or do you have to earn it? Thanks :)

I believe that function is unavailable for normal members (regular members and honorary members) and that's likely why. sho-dan, myself and daledoc1 are all members of other groups (Malware Hunters, Spam Hunters and Moderators respectively).

Okie doke Samuel. I'll see what I can do. But now that I'm all snug with Avira, I kinda don't wanna go through all that hassle again. I'll try it on my other computer and see if the problem persists. Thanks for all your help :)

Yep, as they say, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it.'. Avira is a good antivirus, so you should be fine as long as all is working well :).