Define a rogue installer for me

I use a utility program whose installer program is flagged by mbam (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) as a rogue. The manufacturer of this program has stated in writing that it is the victim of anti-competitive measures. Indeed, I bought this product a few years ago and it has never placed any malicious code (spyware, viruses, etc.) on my computer.

When mbam reports an installer program as a rogue, which of the following is true?:

1) mbam regards the program as a plagiarizer +

the program is known to have placed malicious code on customers' computers

or

2) mbam regards the program as a plagiarizer, but it is not known to have placed malicious code on customers' computers.

If you feel a program is detected improperly please read the following and post back the requested information and someone will take a look for you.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=3228

Thank you

Ron,

I previously submitted a support ticket on Dec-13 12:51 pm (PST) and it has been referred to your R&D department. I'm told that I will be notified when they determine if this was a "legitimate detection." But what I want to know is whether it will place spyware or viruses on my computer.

And generally speaking, I'd like to know what you mean by a rogue installer. Is it a rogue because you think it stole another product's design or code or is it a rogue because it's apt to put a virus or spyware on my machine?............valoprube

• Staff

Hi,

Really gonna need to see the setup.exe file itself that was detected.

When something is named rogue it means that usually it gives out false detections and charges money to remove them.

The rogue name in definitions have nothing to do with plagirism.

This is a generic detection because there is no specific name of the program.

If this is a false positive this will be fixed asap once we receive the file.

• Staff

Ok unfortunately the detection stands. Is it malware no. If you like the software and are a paid user you are welcome to add it to the ignore list.

Does it give detections that really do not need fixing.

Yes.

Does it charge money to remove them?

Yes

One thing is the MRU list which is most recently used programs and documents. Cleaning this will in no way make your pc run better. This is normally managed by windows anyway. it only keeps a certain # before it deletes the old ones anyways.

Ok unfortunately the detection stands. Is it malware no. If you like the software and are a paid user you are welcome to add it to the ignore list.

Does it give detections that really do not need fixing.

Yes.

Does it charge money to remove them?

Yes

One thing is the MRU list which is most recently used programs and documents. Cleaning this will in no way make your pc run better. This is normally managed by windows anyway. it only keeps a certain # before it deletes the old ones anyways.