Keep from being scammed on Black Friday by Computer makers..

ShyWriter

post-35425-0-15653400-1321471768.jpg

Keep from being scammed on Black Friday by Computer makers..

Dumping old Gen One Intel chipped inventory.

Concept by ShyWriter with identification material and graphics from:

post-35425-0-63004100-1321471768.jpg

"Watch for Computer manufacturers that might try to take advantage of the Black Friday buying frenzy by dumping old inventories of Gen ONE Intel CPU systems by touting "Super Great Deals" into the marketplace. Here's a super easy way to identify the Intel CPU in the black box on sale." --Steve

How to Identify The 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ Processors

by The Intel Retail Advantage Team

Here are 2 illustrations that will help you quickly see how to differentiate the 2nd Generation Intel Core Processors from its predecessors:

They have different logos.

post-35425-0-01810300-1321472077.jpg

They have a different naming convention.

post-35425-0-46305500-1321472076.jpg

Source: http://retailadvanta...core-processors

--End

Shy

Excellent heads up Steve!

For several months i have been lurking around various retail shops, eg Bestbuy for one. Lots of "deals" show up but they stop wanting to talk to me real quick when i point out that their "deal" needs to be a whole lot better in order to sell me outdated and even "problem child" processors etc. :lol:

I will most likely buy direct from OEM when i finally find one of the three i like that will build to my specs or close.

Wayne

Hehe.. I've been wondering for months how to know whether a computer I need to buy by Christmas to replace this dying/sometimes-dead 4-year piece of crap had the new chips. So, after we've been discussing GOOGLE and newbies and the other links, I did a head smack:

efyx2.jpg

..and followed my own advice and I GOOGLED it! using the following search string "how to ID intel second generation chips"..:blink::rolleyes::P

Steve

All of my snooping into "deals" over the years has shown me that if you want specific quality and the latest components it won't be on sale this year, and if it is, it ain't as good as you thought ;) At least not really cheap, manufacturers can't stay in business that way.

I have found some very good package prices, at least they seemed that way until i searched the specs and added the few items i really wanted to the package then the price was right back in the ballpark.

I always just get the actual processor model # and then use Intel.com as a reference. The specs of the system always show the chip model # (usually on the side of the box, or if they have a working display model just right-click Computer and choose Properties).

Sometimes a buyer doesn't get a chance to do either Samuel, or is not as technically aware as yourself, but the CPU # is usually in the price tag info or on the side of the shipping crate and knowing if a simple "2" as the lead # in the CPU type makes it a Gen 2 is so simple even I can do it. Of course, the specs of the CPU (outside of # of cores/speed) have to be compared somewhere else to see if you're over-paying for performance.

The intent of my post was simply to provide an easy way for the consumer to make certain they weren't getting a Gen 1 dumped on them by a usually-uninformed sales person who might say, "Oh yeah - that's a Gen 2 CPU in there..." Or just as often a blank stare or 'huh?' " :)

@Everyone else: You are very welcome; I'm glad I was able to help. *smile*

Steve

All of my snooping into "deals" over the years has shown me that if you want specific quality and the latest components it won't be on sale this year, and if it is, it ain't as good as you thought ;) At least not really cheap, manufacturers can't stay in business that way.

I have found some very good package prices, at least they seemed that way until i searched the specs and added the few items i really wanted to the package then the price was right back in the ballpark.

Nail on the head correct Wayne.. I've been very lucky on my last 2 purchases, a DELL and an HP, both "bundled" systems at SAMS.. After considering shipping, sales tax, what I got compared to what I want without the unwanted items I didn't need and adding a 4-year warranty (1 year manufacturer; 3 additional years of SAMS' outside 3rd party warranty service at 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the HP or DELL 1 + 3 (4- year) warranty pricing.) I came out wayyyyyy ahead of buying the same system/components on the DELL or HP site. *happy camper*

Steve

Sometimes a buyer doesn't get a chance to do either Samuel, or is not as technically aware as yourself, but the CPU # is usually in the price tag info or on the side of the shipping crate and knowing if a simple "2" as the lead # in the CPU type makes it a Gen 2 is so simple even I can do it. Of course, the specs of the CPU (outside of # of cores/speed) have to be compared somewhere else to see if you're over-paying for performance.

The intent of my post was simply to provide an easy way for the consumer to make certain they weren't getting a Gen 1 dumped on them by a usually-uninformed sales person who might say, "Oh yeah - that's a Gen 2 CPU in there..." Or just as often a blank stare or 'huh?' " :)

@Everyone else: You are very welcome; I'm glad I was able to help. *smile*

Steve

I'm aware of that, I was simply explaining how I do it ;). Most such users wouldn't be aware that there's any difference between a Gen1 and a Gen2 anyway and any with Black Friday shopping experience will know that most of the Black Friday "deals" are on outdated items/technology (the same is true for the TV's and DVD players that always go on sale).

I'm aware of that, I was simply explaining how I do it ;). Most such users wouldn't be aware that there's any difference between a Gen1 and a Gen2 anyway and any with Black Friday shopping experience will know that most of the Black Friday "deals" are on outdated items/technology (the same is true for the TV's and DVD players that always go on sale).

I know; I was just yanking your chain Samuel.. :D

Actually, you can get some GREAT deals on those 1-year old TV sets as (unless 3D is ones thing).. Unlike computers that are outdated by the time you buy a brand new one just released, TV technology doesn't change all that much year-to-year. But the difference between Gen1 and Gen2 Intel CPUs are massive according to PC World.

New CPU Features

The new CPUs retain the Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 monikers that Intel has used for a few years, but the naming scheme is a bit misleading: These processors have a whole
, and aren't simply a revision.

The company optimized and enlarged the caches for "micro-ops" used in the CPU, allowing for more-efficient, faster handling of tasks. Performance for AES encryption and SHA-1 hash operations is improved. A new set of vector extensions (called AVX) promises to rev up performance in some data-intensive applications, once they have been optimized to use the new instructions. And a new ring bus enables faster communications between cores and the integrated graphics processor.

Intel has made technical changes within the CPU cores, as well, most of which are of interest only to coders and compiler developers.
What you need to know as a consumer is this: Performance should be better in just about any application that relies heavily on the CPU.

Steve