Program Will Not Launch

I've installed the latest version of Malwarebytes (shareware, not pro) but cannot get the program to launch. I followed the instructions I saw posted on this forum -- used the mbam-clean program to remove old versions of the program, rebooted, turned off McAfee, and installed -- but still can't launch (i.e. click the program icon, nothing happens). I'm using Windows XP. Any suggestions appreciated.

Greetings :)

This often happens due to having a removable drive assigned the drive letter C:. You should be able to correct it by changing the drive letter of the removable drive that is set to C: to any drive letter other than C:. The Microsoft Knowledgebase article located here explains how to do it.

Also note that if the drive you have Windows installed on is C:, then this is not the same issue and you should contact support@malwarebytes.org so that they can assist you with diagnosing and correcting the issue.

I have Malwarebytes installed on my main/boot drive. However, due to a reformatting issue, that drive is labelled "J" rather than "C" (and I cannot rename because that is my primary drive). Would that be the problem?

Greetings :)

This often happens due to having a removable drive assigned the drive letter C:. You should be able to correct it by changing the drive letter of the removable drive that is set to C: to any drive letter other than C:. The Microsoft Knowledgebase article located here explains how to do it.

Also note that if the drive you have Windows installed on is C:, then this is not the same issue and you should contact support@malwarebytes.org so that they can assist you with diagnosing and correcting the issue.

Thanks so much -- that did the trick. (Hopefully the original drive C, one of the card readers, will still work ok with a new drive name, but at least MWB is now working. Again, thanks for the help.

The reformatting issue is the cause, but not because you have Windows installed on J:. Windows can be installed on J:, you just need to change the drive letter of whatever drive is marked as C: to a different drive letter (like Z: for example).

Thanks so much -- that did the trick. (Hopefully the original drive C, one of the card readers, will still work ok with a new drive name, but at least MWB is now working. Again, thanks for the help.

Yep, your card reader will work fine. I'm glad that I was able to help, if you need anything else please don't hesitate to post.