Thank you SSOOO much! I think......

jdog

A few days ago I somehow picked up a computer virus, or adware, or something. Every once in a while, a thing ( a Microsoft Office 2000 screen) would come on my screen where it said that "the application I was trying to use needed to access a disk"; I would hit cancel, and it would say it was installing something. I'd hit cancel again, and we'd go back and forth a few times with that, and then a web page would open up. Usually some kind of commercial thing.

My McAfee Security suite did not detect it. I updated and scanned 10 times with it.

My Adaware 2008 would not detect it. Neither would my Advanced System Care get it either.

I was stumped. I concluded that this terrible thing I had on my system was evidently recognized as a legitimate program. I figured that to be the definition of "malware," although I really don't know.

I went to cnet.com (the only place I trust for free downloads) and downloaded Malware Bytes. I updated it, as suggested.

I ran a quick scan, and it found the following (if you want, skip all this, and just go to the -------- to continue....):

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 47311

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 48 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 4

Registry Values Infected: 2

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 1

Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{b64f4a7c-97c9-11da-8bde-f66bad1e3f3a} (Rogue.WinAntivirus) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\prunnet (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\prunnet (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\prunnet (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

C:\Documents and Settings\Comp User\Application Data\gadcom (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\prunnet.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

------------------------

How can this program (downloaded FREE, no less) detect stuff that THREE other programs, all considered top notch, miss

entirely? My first though was that it was a sales gimmick, to get me to buy the upgrade. But there's no prompting to buy (like there was when I tried to download Panda).

IF my problems go away, like I suspect that they will, I will certainly buy the upgrade. I need to make sure my problems are fixed (and I'll have to wait and see if the above aforementiond stuff happens again)...... but this is the first positive thing I've seen regarding my efforts to fix this problem.....

Thanks so much! I hope designers of this type of program receive all kinds of rewards; conversly, the people that make all these viruses and stuff, I hope there's a special place in HELL reserved for them........

How can this program (downloaded FREE, no less) detect stuff that THREE other programs, all considered top notch, miss

entirely? My first though was that it was a sales gimmick, to get me to buy the upgrade. But there's no prompting to buy (like there was when I tried to download Panda)

Actually, McAfee and Ad-Aware have been lagging behind for years. For good protection, we usually recommend AntiVir for real-time anti-virus protection, obviously Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for scanning and real-time protection, and Spybot Search & Destroy (don't install TeaTimer) for scanning and immunization.

As far as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware detecting what anti-virus software does not, that is what our software is designed to do. It targets the little trojans and other malware (short for malicious software) that other products have trouble detecting (with special emphasis on rogue anti-malware applications).

...conversly, the people that make all these viruses and stuff, I hope there's a special place in HELL reserved for them........

As do we. :)

Actually, McAfee and Ad-Aware have been lagging behind for years. For good protection, we usually recommend AntiVir for real-time anti-virus protection, obviously Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for scanning and real-time protection, and Spybot Search & Destroy (don't install TeaTimer) for scanning and immunization.

As far as Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware detecting what anti-virus software does not, that is what our software is designed to do. It targets the little trojans and other malware (short for malicious software) that other products have trouble detecting (with special emphasis on rogue anti-malware applications).

I have another problem, that started about the same time I started trying to get rid of the original ones. This was before I downloaded Malware Bytes.....

I cannot access my regular homepage (www.comcast.net) or my local newspaper (www.tallahassee.com) I have called both of these entitities, and I am told that their sites are up and running. Apparently I can go to any other site; browser appears to be fine, otherwise...

Could malware have somehow blocked me from accessing these sites? I cannot get to them from my bookmarks, or if I type in the URL manually.

The only thing I can think of is that these sites have blocked my IP address. But both of them, simultaneously doing this, is unlikely.

Comments?

I have another problem, that started about the same time I started trying to get rid of the original ones. This was before I downloaded Malware Bytes.....

I cannot access my regular homepage (www.comcast.net) or my local newspaper (www.tallahassee.com) I have called both of these entitities, and I am told that their sites are up and running. Apparently I can go to any other site; browser appears to be fine, otherwise...

Could malware have somehow blocked me from accessing these sites? I cannot get to them from my bookmarks, or if I type in the URL manually.

The only thing I can think of is that these sites have blocked my IP address. But both of them, simultaneously doing this, is unlikely.

Comments?

Greetings. It could be a leftover effect of malware, like blocking them in your hosts file. Please follow the instructions here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936

and post your logs in a new topic here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are

instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult.

I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.