"D" Day - June 6, 1944 - The start of the liberation of Europe

ShyWriter

The 10th Anniversary refers to the National D-Day Memorial.

The graphic at the end of this message is hot-linked to that site.

57a4cb9b.png

"D" Day - June 6, 1944 - The start of the liberation of Europe

The Normandy landings, also known as Operation Neptune were the

landing operations of the Allied invasion of Normandy, in Operation Overlord, during World War II. The landings commenced on Tuesday, 6 June 1944 (D-Day), beginning at 6:30 AM British Double Summer Time (GMT+2). In planning, D-Day was the term used for the day of actual landing, which was dependent on final approval.

The assault was conducted in two phases: an

airborne assault landing of 24,000 British, American, Canadian and Free French airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landingdivisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30 AM. There were also decoy operations mounted under the codenames Operation Glimmer and Operation Taxable to distract the German forces from the real landing areas.

The operation was the largest amphibious invasion in world history, with over 160,000 troops landing on 6 June 1944. 195,700 Allied naval and

merchant navy personnel in over 5,000 ships were involved. The invasion required the transport of soldiers and material from the United Kingdom by troop-laden aircraft and ships, the assault landings, air support, naval interdiction of the English Channel and naval fire-support. The landings took place along a 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword.

post-35425-0-13520700-1307315178.jpg

Shy

Shsssss... quiet Shy. Many don't like to be reminded they would probably be under the control of Germany without stuff like this.

And without the American Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after we (or the Germans or the Russians or Italians) bombed them back to the stone age, they'd still be living in tents and NOT in their modern, economically strong countries of the present.

Shy

Sometimes we Americans like to remind others we are proud of selfless actions, from the past like this, and such, that show we aren't the "Bad Guys" the modern world seems to always assume we are.

Since you don't care, why bother to make a comment?

Shy

Knowledge and gratitude are not rampant in this "all about me" age Steve. Those of us who served, still do, and or had parents who did, still remember and greatly respect those responsible for our freedom.

Wayne

Guest SalvaMea

And without the American Marshall Plan that rebuilt Europe after we (or the Germans or the Russians or Italians) bombed them back to the stone age, they'd still be living in tents and NOT in their modern, economically strong countries of the present.

Shy

Though i have unconditional respect, admiration and gratitude for all of those who gave there lives to rid the world of Fascism (even those who stood by and watched the holocaust unfold until Germany and Japan forced their involvement by declaring war on them). However, the Marshall Plan was not quite the act of selflessness that you seem to believe. The American people made huge sacrifices in World War II and that should be recognised, it should be equally recognised that the US benefitted hugely, both economically and politically during and after the conflict. Any analysis of the 20th Century would include a consideraton of the view that World War II was indeed the making of America and only now are we seeing the fruits of that period going into decline. If you wish to study a small part of the financial 'selflessness' of the US towards her allies, google Bretton Woods, we only just finished paying you back! In the meantime I will continue to express my gratitude to the ordinary British, American, Russian, Indian, Chinese, French, Greek, Serbian etc sevicemen and women for their sacrifice.

"... remember and greatly respect those responsible for our freedom."

Wayne

I think this is the most important!

Both my parents were only twelve when the second World War ended but my mother still recalls it as if it happened yesterday.

Therefore, for as long as I remember, we pay our respects on the 11th of November, to all those brave men who gave us the life we live now.

Shsssss... quiet Shy. Many don't like to be reminded they would probably be under the control of Germany without stuff like this.

Yeah Ron.. But I sure never figured I was gonna have to learn Chinese at my age.. :P

Steve..

Knowledge and gratitude are not rampant in this "all about me" age Steve. Those of us who served, still do, and or had parents who did, still remember and greatly respect those responsible for our freedom.

Wayne

I agree Wayne.. but my reply to Dark was due to a misunderstanding.. He was "talking" to Ron, not me.. :unsure: I edited my post.

Steve

Wayne

It's always nice to read posts like yours, Mona's and SalvaMea's, my friend..

I actually wasn't trying to start a war of my own here. I just try to remind people of certain dates and events in History as I have zero faith in my country's ability to teach today's youth of our illustrious past. ;)

Thanks again,

Steve...

EDIT: If I stepped on anyone's foot with my pride in my country please understand it was not intentional.