USB device malfunction and getting stuck on boot-up splash screen

Hi everyone,

I am having trouble with my Toshiba laptop. In the 2 weeks ago it stopped recognizing my webcam and also an unspecified, unknown usb device has malfunctioned. These were the hallmarks of when I was infected with malware previously. I have updated and run malwarebytes and avira anti-virus but both have come up clean. I have tried rebooting my computer but it gets stuck on the Toshiba splash screen and I have to hold F12 down so I can select what drive I want to boot up from the boot menu. I am unable to use system restore either, it says there is an unspecified error.

I went through the HJT forum and was directed here. Here is the link to that thread:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=80618&st=0&gopid=415847entry415847

Thanks for your help!

Hello, and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Sorry to hear you are having issues, but since you mentioned you were infected, it is best to have the computer checked by the experts to make sure all components from the infection are removed. Once you are all clean then the expert will either help you fix the USB issue, or you can return here and we can proceed from there....

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

[*]Option 1

Firefox, it looks like he or she did already get checked out for malware :)

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=80618&st=0&gopid=415847entry415847

If your webcam software came with a software CD please run the setup for it, there could be a file missing or corrupt. Also you could try removing it from device manager and then rebooting so that the computer could redetect it.

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, my router suddenly died and I just got internet back.

I can't seem to find it on the device manager, there is nothing there. I'm actually not real concerned about the camera not being functional, i've never used it.

I am a bit more concerned with the boot-up issue and not being able to use system restore. Any idea what could be going on with either of those?

Thanks!