Antivirus Pro 2009

I have a major problem. My PC (Win XP SP2) is infected with Antivirus Pro 2009 and I want to use Malwarebytes to remove it. I used this on my neighbours PC when she had Antivirus XP 2008 installed and it worked fine. However on my PC the application won't run - I have tried running it (the Mbam installer) both from CD and from Desktop (where I copied it) - it shows up as a running process in Task Manager but nothing seems to be happening - I have tried leaving it "running" for up to 20 minutes but it never gets going.

Is there another way to get Malwarebytes to actually install?

I am desperate now!!!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Root Admin

Hello Paul and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

There has been a rash of the TDSS malware that might be the culprit of not being able to install or run MBAM.

If it is then this solution below might help. If it does then start in Normal Windows mode and try to update MBAM and do a scan.

Then follow the directions above and post the requested information.

• Click on
    Start
    , click
    Run
    , and then type
    devmgmt.msc
    and click OK
  • On the
    View
    menu click on
    Show hidden devices

• Browse to
    Non-Plug and Play Drivers
    and you should see something like
    TDSSserv.sys

• Highlight that driver and right click on it and select
    DISABLE

• Now
    RESTART
    your computer.

• Download a copy of
    Malwarebytes
    but
    DO NOT
    run it yet.

• Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the
    .EXE
    extension on the file and run it.

• Once the program is installed go to the
    UPDATE
    tab and try to update the program if you can.

• Then go to the
    SCANNER
    tab and run a
    Quick Scan
    and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

I have a major problem. My PC (Win XP SP2) is infected with Antivirus Pro 2009 and I want to use Malwarebytes to remove it. I used this on my neighbours PC when she had Antivirus XP 2008 installed and it worked fine. However on my PC the application won't run - I have tried running it (the Mbam installer) both from CD and from Desktop (where I copied it) - it shows up as a running process in Task Manager but nothing seems to be happening - I have tried leaving it "running" for up to 20 minutes but it never gets going.

Is there another way to get Malwarebytes to actually install?

I am desperate now!!!!

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi again:

Disabled TDSSserv.sys as suggested, renamed .exe file and Hey Presto! - it worked fine and found the Antivirus Pro files and got rid of them.

Thanks for your help on this one.

Just one more thing - the free Malwarebytes app on my neighbour's PC sporadically refuses to update (as does AVG Free) - could this be a hangover from something else nasty on the system?

Cheers

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

Because it may not be that infection, or might be a much newer revised one. This stuff changes HOURLY and this post is months old now.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

If you're having Malware related issues with your computer that you're unable to resolve.

1. Please read and follow the instructions provided here: I'm infected - What do I do now?
  2. If needed please post your logs in a NEW topic here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs
  3. When posting logs please do not use any Quote, Code, or other tags. Please copy/paste directly into your post and do not attach files unless requested.
  • Please do not post any logs in the General forum. We do not work on any logs posted in the General forum.
  • Please do not install any software or use any removal/scanning tool except for those you're requested to run by the Helper that will assist you.
  • Using these other tools often makes the cleanup task more difficult and time consuming.
  • If you have already submitted for assistance at one of the other support sites on the Internet then you should not post a new log here, you should stay working with the Helper from that site until the issue is resolved.
  • Do not assume you're clean because you don't see something in the logs. Please wait until the person assisting you provides feedback.
  • There are often many others that require asistance as well, so please be patient. If no one has responded within 48 hours then please go ahead and post a request for review
  • NOTE: If for some reason you're unable to run some or any of the tools in the first link, then skip that step and move on to the next one. If you can't even run HijackThis, then just proceed and post a NEW topic as shown in the second link describing your issues and someone will assist you as soon as they can.