I'd love to install Malwarebytes but...

Adaware used to be the program for anti-spyware, but it has gotten bloated and not as effective.

I've never used S&D, so I can't say anything about that.

However, I've found MBAM to be the best anti-malware on the market today. I've got the full version for my laptop, and it hasn't caused me any problems.

Yeah, FP's happen, that's the trade-off with heuristics, but from what I've seen with MBAM so far, as long as you use the quarantine function and update often (and of course report an FP if you believe you've found one), you're relatively safe with MBAM. Marcin and crew are fairly quick at fixing FP's and MBAM has an excellent detection and removal rate of actual infections, some of which are so nasty that other antimalware apps can't even touch them, if they even detect them. And I only use Adaware SE now (have to manually download definition updates through my browser), because I refuse to install 07 or 08 because of the background service you can't get rid of even when using the free version as an on-demand scanner.

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated. Particularly JeanInMontana - I accept it is not exactly fair to blame malware removal tools for the damage that spyware does. Just frustration getting the better of my judgement.

I will install MBAM and follow all the other advice kindly offered here.

Thanks for all the advice, it's much appreciated. Particularly JeanInMontana - I accept it is not exactly fair to blame malware removal tools for the damage that spyware does. Just frustration getting the better of my judgement.

I will install MBAM and follow all the other advice kindly offered here.

It is very frustrating. Malware is a greedy, lazy crime of humanity. Those people behind it are too lazy to earn a living in any honorable profession and choose to exploit and assault others.