Cannot Run mbam-setup.exe

Hello,

I got hit by a`very nasty bug last night. I cannot update anything. Ii seems to have uninstalled Spybotsd and it will not let me even install mbam-setup.exe. I used mbam-setup.exe to install and run Anti-malware on a friends machine last week and it did a great job. I would really like to get it running on my desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi there,

Did you download the setup file from the infected computer?

If you did, download the file onto a usb drive from a different computer, then transfer it to the infected one and see if you can get it to run.

If you tried that, I think you have to try renaming the setup file, to fool the malware into thinking it isn't MBAM.

• Root Admin

Yes that is a possible good start to rename the installer, and once installed rename the executable file to something else as well.

If that does not get it installed or running then please try to follow the directions as best you can here and we'll see what else we can do to get you cleaned up.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

I have a client with the same trouble. The virus stops any anti-malware program from installing or running. It won't even let me go to an anti-malware site -- if I try to ping www.malwarebytes.org it redirects to localhost -- yet the hosts file is clean. Non-anti-malware sites, like cnn.com or yahoo.com, come up fine.

I've pretty much concluded I need to rebuild this machine from the metal up. But if someone has any words of wisdom, I'd be happy to hear them...

I did load the setup file via usb drive from an uninfected laptop. I also renamed the executable. I tried 6 or 7 times to get it to install but it would not. I can see a process running with that name but it just appears to run and not do any thing. However, this morning I clicked on the install icon just for the heck of it and it seemed to install. It got stuck at the end but it seems to all be there. When I run mbam I can once again see the process on the process monitor but does not appear to do anything. I renamed it and tried again with the same result. I will see what I can do with the provided instructions.

I did load the setup file via usb drive from an uninfected laptop. I also renamed the executable. I tried 6 or 7 times to get it to install but it would not. I can see a process running with that name but it just appears to run and not do any thing. However, this morning I clicked on the install icon just for the heck of it and it seemed to install. It got stuck at the end but it seems to all be there. When I run mbam I can once again see the process on the process monitor but does not appear to do anything. I renamed it and tried again with the same result. I will see what I can do with the provided instructions.

run in safe mode?

run in safe mode?

I believe I read in a thread here where it said not to run Anti-malware in safe mode. BTW... after posting the last message I tried again and for some strange reason it ran. It found 12 infections that look like a rogues gallery of some of the worst trojans etc you can get off the web. I am running another scan now to see what is left and will proceed from there.

• Root Admin

You may want to proceed with this routine if you need assistance with this.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

Hi;

I also have problems during re-installation. You see I recently was attacked by a Trojan.NewDotNet that that got past my old pc security system. I was using the internet and my Avast 4.8 Home protection was suddenly halted and it gave a red warning. I automatically stopped all internet activity via Comodo Firewall Pro and disconnected from the internet. I restarted and the Avast Home was ok. I made a scan and it did not find any viruses. I ran Malwarebytes

• Root Admin

Hello voltron and Welcome to Malwarebytes

You may have corrupted files on your disk. If this is Windows XP please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Then see if you can re-install MBAM again. If you're still having issues then please provide back the exact error message.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have a client with the same trouble. The virus stops any anti-malware program from installing or running. It won't even let me go to an anti-malware site -- if I try to ping www.malwarebytes.org it redirects to localhost -- yet the hosts file is clean. Non-anti-malware sites, like cnn.com or yahoo.com, come up fine.

I've pretty much concluded I need to rebuild this machine from the metal up. But if someone has any words of wisdom, I'd be happy to hear them...

well i had tis problem, so what you can do is tric the virus. the virus allows to open internet explorer, so name the malwarebites install program to (iexplorer.exe) this worked for me. if you cant open internet explorer then find a program you can and rename the install to that. or just rename any virus or anti spyware program.