Cheatsguru.com popup

Conor55

I needed to find out about a game on there, and I clicked a link to go to the games forum, and a popup appeared, but it was labelled untitled, and went away straight away like it disappeared.

I am using Google Chrome, I think popup blocker is on, but it usually doesn't do anything to popup's..

Hello Connor55,

When I go on the site it blocks some pop-ups for advertisements. I typically do not go towards gaming sites since a lot of them can contain some nasty stuff in it (adware/spyware).

I went more into their forums and still no fast pop-up that disappears. It could be an ad, if you do not trust the site I do not recommend going to it.

Your browser does not have pop-up blocking enabled?

One ad did get through my pop-up blocker. It was an ad wanting me to click within it to claim my FREE XBox360! Did you click within the pop-up that came up for you?

Nope, just a popup in background, like when you open a tab up in chrome, but in a new windows.

Although it just said "Untitled" like when you open up a new chrome tab (which I didn't do)

Disappeared seconds later though.. So..

Sorry to post for a third time (im desperate), but,

if there is a virus/trojan/keylogger, would it be process be running in task manager or..?

Can someone please answer this question.

When I checked the only process's (chrome.exe) running, were the one's I was using.

Thank you..

We can check if anything has been installed recently with OTL.

To do this: Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you!

Hello Connor,

Let's scan using ESET to ensure you are free of everything. Just to make sure:

1. Turn off your anti-virus software.
  2. Click on the following link: http://www.eset.com/online-scanner
  3. Click on the "ESET Online Scanner" button.
  4. Put a check in the box that says "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  5. Click the 'Start' button just to the right of the checkbox.
  6. You might need to wait while the browser is trying to load the ActiveX control. If you are promoted to install "OnlineScanner.cab", follow the instruction to install that ActiveX control. After that, click on Retry and Yes to install.
  7. Uncheck the box that says "Remove found threats" (this is very important).
  8. Click on "Advanced settings".
  9. Put a check in the box that says "Scan for potentially unsafe applications".
  10. Verify that "Scan for potentially unwanted applications" is also checked.
  11. Verify that "Enable Anti-Stealth technology" is also checked.
  12. Click the 'Start' button in the lower-right corner of the page, and it will begin downloading it's database, and then it will start scanning.
  13. When the scan is done, if it shows a screen that says "Threats found!", then click "List of found threats", and then click "Export to text file..."
  14. Save that text file on your desktop, and then attach it to a reply for me.
  15. Close the ESET online scan.

I will take a look at the log, and let you know if anything needs removed.

Don't uninstall it. See if you are able to temporarily disable McAfee.

McAffee Security Center

#1Locate the red "M" icon in the system tray at the bottom right corner of the desktop. Double click on it to open the Security Center program.

#2Click on the "Advanced" tab and then choose the option labeled as "Configure."

#3Click on the "Files" button on the top toolbar. Click on the "Disable" button at the center of the screen.

#4Enter in a time for the program to automatically turn back on in the text field at the right or, instead, re-start the computer to turn it back on.

Don't uninstall it. See if you are able to temporarily disable McAfee.

McAffee Security Center

#1Locate the red "M" icon in the system tray at the bottom right corner of the desktop. Double click on it to open the Security Center program.

#2Click on the "Advanced" tab and then choose the option labeled as "Configure."

#3Click on the "Files" button on the top toolbar. Click on the "Disable" button at the center of the screen.

#4Enter in a time for the program to automatically turn back on in the text field at the right or, instead, re-start the computer to turn it back on.

I am running Total Protection, and can't find this..

Please try this:

1. Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter
  2. Click Real Time Scanning (top)
  3. Click Real Time Scanning Settings (right)
  4. You can disable Antivirus there and tell it for how long

Conor55,

Please Temporarily disable real-time scanning.

To do this:

• Double click on your McAfee Total Protection Icon.
  • At the home page, Click on Real-Time Scanning->Real-time Scanning Settings.
  • Click the Button to Turn off (set it to 60 minutes)(turn it back on after the scan completes.

Thank you

Alrighty, let's use ESET to remove it:

Do you remember task 7? It looked like: "Uncheck the box that says "Remove found threats" (this is very important)."

Now let's ensure that checkbox is set. go through all the settings from MyPost Skipping Task 7.

Please let me know how this goes. Thank you!