Pop up Window

Yesterday I was searching for free knitting patterns for toddlers sweaters when a pop-up window opened and said that my computer was infected and that Windows would scan for viruses. I knew enough to not click on it, but I couldn't close the window. I turned the computer off using the power button. I waited a minute or two and then turned my laptop back on. I received the message that Windows had not shut down properly. I then let it boot up normally and ran malwarebytes and everything was fine. Also ran a full system scan. I have two questions:

1. If it happens again, is there a better way to get rid of the pop-up window or should I just repeat what I did yesterday?

2. I have McAfee Security Center and the free version of Malwarebytes and was wondering how the pop-up window got through and is there a way for me to prevent harmful popups from getting in?

Thanks for your input.

Hello and :D

To answer your questions, next time you can open up Task Manager and then End the task (or windows). You can do this by right clicking on the task-bar and then clicking on Task Manager, or you can also hit Ctrl, Alt, and Del on your keyboard and then click on task manager.

As to how it came through, well malware and viruses change everyday to attempt to infect your computer. I see you are using the free version. The Pro version would have probably protected you from this threat by blocking the infection with the built in Web Blocker.

You should consider upgrading to the Pro Version you can purchase it from The Malwarebytes Store at a low price of $24.95 for a lifetime license is really worth it.