three false positives?

dollsey74

I just installed MBAM, scanned my laptop, and the results indicate that there are three pieces of Malware on my laptop. The logfile is listed below. I also ran Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and SUPERAntiSpyware. None of these found any malware on my laptop. Are these false positives or is MBAM finding things that other programs aren't finding?

Thanks,

Jason

---------------

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\serauth1.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\serauth2.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

Hi dollsey74 and welcome to Malwarebytes. Please go here and follow the instructions, start your own topic in that forum and post the logs requested in your post, not attached. http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 Someone will have a look and tell you what to do.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\serauth1.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\serauth2.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> No action taken.

^^ Google says bad so I would be surprised if they are not malware .^^

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> No action taken.

^^ This is MBAM turning back on a disabled start menu component , in this case unhiding MyComputer .^^

This one is neither FP nor real malware , it is MBAM seeing a component commonly disabled by malware and turning it back on . If you have disabled this yourself just add it to the ignore list and it wont turn up in a scan again .

• 1 month later...

I just installed MBAM, scanned my laptop, and the results indicate that there are three pieces of Malware on my laptop. The logfile is listed below. I also ran Ad-Aware, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and SUPERAntiSpyware. None of these found any malware on my laptop. Are these false positives or is MBAM finding things that other programs aren't finding?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi,

I just nearly made the same experience. After an unmotivated stop of my notebook (complete shut-down) I made a scan with MalByteware to see whether a malware was at the origin. AntiVir Personal and SpyBot didn't find anything, MBAM found serauth1.dll and serauth2.dll with 0 file length in the windows\systems32 folder.

What should I do ? What happens if I make MBAM remove them ?

Thanks,

Frank

mbam_log_2008_12_14__11_37_30_.txt

mbam_log_2008_12_14__11_37_30_.txt

Greetings Frank, and welcome to the forum. To get you fixed up please read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs in a new topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult. I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.