scan emails

Email scanning is the job of an antivirus. Some antispyware apps like Windows Defender(Windows 7/2008 R2 only)have built in email scanning, but they wouldn't do a good job compared to an antivirus.

where any good we would not have a junk folder in are email accounts if you understand where im going with this

Having good av's wouldn't get rid of that. Spam isn't classified as malware. It's like those credit card companies, cruse lines etc that periodically send things to your postal address. A way of business. :D

Very true, Buttons.

The main idea of an email scanner (whether it be via an AV or the email client/provider), and please anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, is to scan any attachments that could in fact contain an infection(s).

:)

Mostly I was just clarifying for anyone reading this thread here, especially on this (since you hadn't mentioned attachments):

Having good av's wouldn't get rid of that. Spam isn't classified as malware. It's like those credit card companies, cruse lines etc that periodically send things to your postal address. A way of business.
:D