Manual Update Seems To Fast

I"m using the latest Version of Malwarebytes, v1.28 "Free". For about the last week or so, it seems that when I Manually Update the Program, it seems to be Updating to fast. I mean it's almost Instantaneous. The Download Progress Box opens up, the for about half a Second, nothing happens, and then the Database Number will change to the supposedly Updated version and then the Button Pops-Up saying that the Update is complete.

Before this, the Download Progress Box would Open-Up and List the Size of the Update (ex. 1038 KB), and then the Progress-Bar would Scroll across the Box until the Download was complete, usually about 5 or 6 seconds.

I have the same symptoms on my other Computer, and have Un-Installed & Reinstalled to no avail.

To me, this doesn't seem right, or is this Normal Operating Procedure now. If so, Why have a Progress-Box for the amount of Download data remaining?

Appreciate any input.

System Specs.

Win XP SP2 on Both Computers. IE 6

Internet Connection - Cable

Ken:

The updates are very fast, and should be even faster since they are now on their own server. Check the version numbers. If they change you got the update.

Thanks for your responses. I just tried to Update the Second Computer that I mentioned in my previous Post.

This time I used the Alternate Mirror Site, (SecurityWonks.net). It Updated just fine, and everything seems to be fine now. :)

Maybe you should consider going back to the "Slower Servers". :)

Thanks again.

Edit: I never thought I'd ever hear myself saying that somethings to fast on the Internet.

Ken: :)

Maybe you should consider going back to the "Slower Servers". :)

The slower server could not handle the load. A day after CNet's Download.com listed us on their homepage, our server was overloaded by update requests. We had to get something that could not only handle the current load, but that could handle it if something like that happened again.

I wish the Distributor of Avira would get their Act together and get a faster System. Sometimes it takes forever to Update the Program.

Ken:

On the assumption that you are using the free version, that's by design. The Pro version supposedly updates much faster.

I assume Bruce puts the defs together by hand, so he probably just got so busy analysing and adding malware to the defs that he forgot to change the date.

Good assumption. Yes, all the definition work is done manually behind the scenes so to speak. And it has to be verified, and then added to the master defs which is what winds up distributed. :)

If I'm not mistaken, it takes on average 20 mins to create a signature for a malware! (If you want it done properly). Sometimes an hour for really nasty ones, But some are spottable within seconds.

I guess that's why FP's are around.

The topic here isn't about creating the definitions. People are actually complaining they get the updates too fast. :blink: