Install Problem on MBAM Ver 1.28

I used MBAM for the first time yesterday to fix a friends laptop that was infected with Antivirus 2008 pop ups. I spent the whole day running the usual AV and spyware apps in safe mode with out success. MBAM found and deleted 13 problem files and the laptop is working perfectly now.

This morning I thought it might be a good idea to install MBAM on my AMD 3800 system. I have had no problems with this system, but I wondered if MBAM might find something. I could not complete the install of the program. Here is the error message I received.

post-4318-1223257321_thumb.jpg

I rebooted my system. Tried again. Same meassage. I downloaded another copy from a different site. Rebooted and tried again. Same results.

My AMD 3800 is running XP Pro SP 3 with all Microsoft updates, 2 GB ram, Spybot S&D with no tea timer, and Spyware Blaster. Current versions and all updates on both. In task manager I have 16 processes when the system is idle. The system runs perfectly and fast, and I never have problems in stalling or running anything.

I think MBAM is a terriffic program and I would like to help as much as possible to get this resolved. Please let me know what other info you need to help diagnois this problem.

Thanks,

Rob

post-4318-1223257321_thumb.jpg

• Root Admin

It sounds like one of a couple of things are happening.

It could be hidden malware watching that is preventing the install

It could be that your Antivirus is preventing it from being installed

It could be that your VB runtime files or associations are invalid, installing the Microsoft Windows VB Runtime 6 SP6 might correct that issue.

It sounds like one of a couple of things are happening.

1. It could be hidden malware watching that is preventing the install

2. It could be that your Antivirus is preventing it from being installed

3. It could be that your VB runtime files or associations are invalid, installing the Microsoft Windows VB Runtime 6 SP6 might correct that issue.

Thanks for the replies.

Answering your suggestions:

1. I tried renaming the MBAM exe file to another random name. Same results. Same error code. I have also tried doing the MBAM install in Safe Mode. Same error code results.

2. At this time I do not have any anti virus programs installed. I was using AGV 7.5. It has been uninstalled and all the remaining folders have been deleted.

3. I went to the MicroSoft site and downloaded the Microsoft Windows VB Runtime 6 SP6 file. Installed it following their directions. I then tried the MBAM install again.

Same results. Same error code.

I have run CCleaner 2.12 many times during all these attempts. I have also ran an updated Spybot S&D scan again with clean results before the attempted installs.

My capture of the error is poor so I am typing it out to eliminate any confusion:

Error

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX. RegServ32 failed with exit code 0x5.

Click Retry to try again. Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended) or Abort to cancel installation.

Thanks again to everyone for your help with this.

Rob

• Root Admin

Okay, so is this YOUR machine or a Work machine?

I can have you run a repair that will reset the system back to the default permissions if permissions is the real cause.

Error 5 basically means you do not have rights with the current logon credentials to perform the task asked.

Let me know if this is your machine and we can continue from there if you like.

This is my own home computer. XP Pro was installed by me. There are only 2 active accounts on this system, Me and Administrator. Both are members of the Administrators group.

I am the only user of this system.

Is there a way of checking permissions before I make your changes? This is not really a problem as I will make a complete image of Drive C before I try your suggestion.

Rob

• Root Admin

Well if it is a permissions issue then this should fix it. You will need to reboot your computer after running this.

To reset your operating system back to original installation default security settings:

• Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  • Type the following command from the code box below, and then press ENTER:

• secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

Client, service, and program incompatibilities that may occur when you modify security settings and user rights assignments

Well if it is a permissions issue then this should fix it. You will need to reboot your computer after running this.

To reset your operating system back to original installation default security settings:

I followed your suggestions exactly, rebooted , and tried the install again.

Same error message I am sorry to say.

Rob

Have you been tweaking services?

Yes, I have. I have a printed list of the services I have either disabled of changed to manual so I could change things back. I made these service tweaks about 2 months ago. This is the first time I have had any problems with anything on my system. Do you have any idea what service might contribute to this problem?

Rob

With sp3 I have 17 core processes, I decided it was safer to leave well enough alone

was avg resident during the sp3 install?

Honestly, I cannot remember. Both the install of SP3 and the removal of AVG happened about 2 months ago. I take care of all my neighbors PCs and I have about 400 machines at work so the exact time details are lost in the "herd".

I just checked my Event Viewer and there are no errors in System. No errors also in Security and Applications.

Everything is working fast and perfect.....just cannot complete the MBAM install !

Rob

• Root Admin

Try this and let me know what you get please.

Click on START - RUN and type in DCOMCNFG and press the enter key.

It should open to Component Services - click the + indicator to expand the tree.

Then click on Computers

Then click the + indicator to expand the tree again

Then click on My Computer and expand the tree again.

Then click on DCOM Config

If any item has a RED indicator or you're unable to browse down to this location let me know.

If you can browse to this container then you may get prompted that some items are not registered, go ahead and click yes as long as their known programs that you've installed on your system.

Try this and let me know what you get please.

Click on START - RUN and type in DCOMCNFG and press the enter key.

It should open to Component Services - click the + indicator to expand the tree.

Then click on Computers

Then click the + indicator to expand the tree again

Then click on My Computer and expand the tree again.

Then click on DCOM Config

If any item has a RED indicator or you're unable to browse down to this location let me know.

If you can browse to this container then you may get prompted that some items are not registered, go ahead and click yes as long as their known programs that you've installed on your system.

I tried your suggestion. I had no trouble browsing through the trees. No items were Red and none were showing that they were not registered.

It took 4 screen captures to get the entire list. I have only attached the first screen capture here so you can see part of my results. I can post the remaining three if you would like.

post-4318-1223437254_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Rob

post-4318-1223437254_thumb.jpg

When I install a service pack there are no extra processes's running, especially anything related to security

I use only the administrative installs

I would suggest running windows as a repair disk after turning back on all default services

Unload any resident security software

Apply SP3

• Root Admin

Okay try a removal of MB if it's installed at all.

Look for these folders and delete them if they exist.

C:\Program Files\
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
Malwarebytes

C:\Documents and Settings\{your logon name}\Application Data\
Malwarebytes

Unhide your files and folders. In your My Computer under TOOLS, Folder Options, View, click on SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, then uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES, uncheck HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES

Then do a search for these files on the the entire hard drive including all sub-folders

mbam.dll

mbamext.dll

ssubtmr6.dll

vbalsgrid6.ocx

zlib.dll

If any of them are found then click on START - RUN and type in CMD and click OK

Then type the following REGSVR32 /U {name of the DLL file found including the path}

Make a Registry backup if you're not certain of what you're doing.

ERUNT Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista

Then click on START - RUN and type in REGEDIT and click OK

Then browse to this location if found and delete the following keys only NOT THE Parent Tree

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

The same here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{71A2702D-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}

Let me know what was found and what you removed before we proceed forward.

Having same exact install problem as "robot 202". Two PC's have AV 2009 pop up isues. One still with Windows 2K. Couldn't accomplish DCOMCNFG as when ran it did not agree with expected (not same on 2K?). Other than this have accomplished all other recommended steps, but still get same error message interrupting installation. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

Lad

• Root Admin

Hello Lad, for future reference please do not post directly into other users posts (most boards frown on this) simply create your own post and place a link to this post for reference if needed. Thanks.

Okay for both of you please do the following.and we'll try to see if we can locate something that is stopping the installation and manually remove it with other tools.

Download or update TrendMicro

Okay try a removal of MB if it's installed at all.

Look for these folders and delete them if they exist.

C:\Program Files\
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
Malwarebytes

C:\Documents and Settings\{your logon name}\Application Data\
Malwarebytes

Unhide your files and folders. In your My Computer under TOOLS, Folder Options, View, click on SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, then uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN FILE TYPES, uncheck HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES

Then do a search for these files on the the entire hard drive including all sub-folders

mbam.dll

mbamext.dll

ssubtmr6.dll

vbalsgrid6.ocx

zlib.dll

If any of them are found then click on START - RUN and type in CMD and click OK

Then type the following REGSVR32 /U {name of the DLL file found including the path}

Make a Registry backup if you're not certain of what you're doing.

ERUNT Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista

Then click on START - RUN and type in REGEDIT and click OK

Then browse to this location if found and delete the following keys only NOT THE Parent Tree

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

The same here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{71A2702D-C7D8-11D2-BEF8-525400DFB47A}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{57CE581A-0CB6-4266-9CA0-19364C90A0B3}

Let me know what was found and what you removed before we proceed forward.

I followed all your directions and I did not find any folders or files or any entries in the registry that you listed.

Your directions are great, but I am striking out on results!

Rob

• 5 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

I'm reasonably certain I've found the solution to fixing this. Not certain what causes the issue though in the first place.

It's very late here right now and I still need to write up some documentation and do a little more testing but will try to post the fix some time this weekend.