pc protection center 2008

garyb

Does anyone have any information on this virus. I have worked on eradicating this disease for 2 solid hours. I have finally gotten it to at least leave my desktop alone. It still pops up warnings about virus and a link to buy software...???

Anybody have any input?

Gary ;)

• 2 months later...

Looks like PPC2008 has transmuted!

My XP machine is swamped with popups, browser redirects me to random sites from Google results page, task manager is disabled and I cannot now run Malwarebytes and am prevented from download or installing any other possible solutions. It even recognises attempts to access the PC Tools site and redirects me to my home page (sorry but I was desparate).

Does anybody else recognise the condition and has anybody else found a way to rectify?

Looks like PPC2008 has transmuted!

My XP machine is swamped with popups, browser redirects me to random sites from Google results page, task manager is disabled and I cannot now run Malwarebytes and am prevented from download or installing any other possible solutions. It even recognises attempts to access the PC Tools site and redirects me to my home page (sorry but I was desparate).

Does anybody else recognise the condition and has anybody else found a way to rectify?

Could be similar to what's been happening with Antivirus 2009, you can check your device manager (right click on My Computer, then click Manage, then select Device Manager on the left). Click on view, show hidden devices and check under non-plug and play drivers for anything called TDSSERV or anything similar. If it's there, disable it. It's a rootkit that has been blocking MBAM and many other tools from loading. You may also try renaming the installer for MBAM as well as the executable for MBAM if you do get it installed so it can run.

edit: You may also want to refer to this post by AdvancedSetup, he's one of the experts here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...ost&p=35680

Many thanks exile360...

Could not find the Device Managers via your route but found them using Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/View/Show Hidden Devices. Disabled TDSSserv.sys and rebooted which then allowed Malwarebytes to start running again and clean out the 27 or so nasties.

(I spent the thick end of two days wrestling with the problem before finding this forum and at one point in the process I had called a PC support person who reckoned that the only solution was to re-install XP!!!!!!)

(The next bit is for G00gulls benefit - hopefully it will swing buy this thread and index the keywords thereby saving somebody a bunch of time in looking for a solution in the future.)

Malware, hijacker, browser redirect, rogue popups, disabled task manager, pc protection center 2008, solution.

Many thanks exile360...

Could not find the Device Managers via your route but found them using Settings/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/View/Show Hidden Devices. Disabled TDSSserv.sys and rebooted which then allowed Malwarebytes to start running again and clean out the 27 or so nasties.

(I spent the thick end of two days wrestling with the problem before finding this forum and at one point in the process I had called a PC support person who reckoned that the only solution was to re-install XP!!!!!!)

(The next bit is for G00gulls benefit - hopefully it will swing buy this thread and index the keywords thereby saving somebody a bunch of time in looking for a solution in the future.)

Malware, hijacker, browser redirect, rogue popups, disabled task manager, pc protection center 2008, solution.

If you are still checking this thread Gdgee, here's some more info for you to make sure you are clean please read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult. Good luck and safe surfing.